What's new
Is there any truth to the opinion that short boards are a later revision of long boards ie. they are newer and consequently of a newer (possible updated) design?

They are, the long boards were the first version released with games like Strider, Final Fight and Ghouls n Ghosts. The short 10mhz A shipped with SF2WW and then the 12mhz Dash A board came after that

The 1.5 A board for the Q Sound games is actually close to the original long board too

Age isn’t good enough of a reason for me. I’ve got classic-age boards that are still running strong, even pre-CPS1 boards that use the same Customs that haven’t failed on me yet. I’d want to know metrics on this claim, more about what components are commonly failing or what the engineering behind the faults are causing the long boards to stop working as well as the short boards.
So far the points I’ve heard is age being the culprit, but that’s a vague and inaccurate statement without actually quantifying the failures.

Age is relative with arcade hardware. Some of this stuff has been barely used, where other boards were run for 10 years 24/7

CPS1 A boards are a crap shoot. I've seen a super clean looks brand new A board with a bad custom and a horribly dirty long A board that works perfectly

Age isn’t good enough of a reason for me. I’ve got classic-age boards that are still running strong, even pre-CPS1 boards that use the same Customs that haven’t failed on me yet. I’d want to know metrics on this claim, more about what components are commonly failing or what the engineering behind the faults are causing the long boards to stop working as well as the short boards.
So far the points I’ve heard is age being the culprit, but that’s a vague and inaccurate statement without actually quantifying the failures.
There's no pre-CPS1 boards using the same customs than CPS1.
I'd say early boards MAY fail more often because:
- chips have been manufactured earlier with an older manufacturing technology
- chips have more operating hours
- internal corrosion is more advanced (I'm certain those CPS1 custom chips suffer the same disease fujitsu TTLs do, I've had them failed on the shelf...).

There's no pre-CPS1 boards using the same customs than CPS1.I'd say early boards MAY fail more often because:
- chips have been manufactured earlier with an older manufacturing technology
- chips have more operating hours
- internal corrosion is more advanced (I'm certain those CPS1 custom chips suffer the same disease fujitsu TTLs do, I've had them failed on the shelf...).
oh my bad, I thought the custom sprites generator marked “86S105 was shared between CPS1 and pre boards like the Mitchell pcbs.

oh my bad, I thought the custom sprites generator marked “86S105 was shared between CPS1 and pre boards like the Mitchell pcbs.
Not beating up on you, but one of my pet peeves is people calling Mitchell hardware pre-CPS1. CPS1 is 1988+. Mitchell hardware is 1989+. Think of it as "low horsepower in the CPS1 era."
-ud

Not beating up on you, but one of my pet peeves is people calling Mitchell hardware pre-CPS1. CPS1 is 1988+. Mitchell hardware is 1989+. Think of it as "low horsepower in the CPS1 era."
-ud
Well, technically Mitchell boards were built on an older processor, z80 based rather than CPS1’s 68000, and I just found out they used the older sprite generator custom...
But if you’re counting by game releases, sure, that would make sense. But from a hardware standpoint, Mitchell boards are actually older tech than CPS1.

Who needs 3player Final Fight when I can have 15 Haggars.

ZET61opl.jpg

I wonder what causes this. Was doing a 1CC run and got this funny glitch/failure. Couldn't go to service menu or insert a credit had to hard reset. Got back to the stage and all was fine. A few weeks earlier I had the sound effects go silent on stage 6 near the large group of axls/slash but bgm still playing. Going to the next area my sound effects went back to normal. A shame I had to reset since I was deathless up to that point.In any case I did end up 1 credit clearing it again with Mr. Haggar.

Could never replicate these glitches/hardware failures.

Last edited:
This may have been brought up before, and it may also be way too late to try and implement this, but would it be possible to have wifi capabilities for changing the game on the PCB? E.g. be able to change what is playing on the multi with a smartphone app or something.

If not built onto the main board itself, perhaps as an "add-on" to the existing LCD. (Like if the CPS2 LCD screen could be replaced with an LCD Screen with a wifi-module on board, and what would be displayed or sent from the LCD screen could be sent to a smartphone app).

Perhaps just random ramblings, and not a huge concern or care if it's not implemented, but figured I'd put it out there. :)

Whoa, I need to check in more often round these parts. Heard through the grapevine this project was getting serious traction.

I’m definitely in for one, maybe two depending on price.

Cheers,
Brad

Last edited:
Back