What's new

Exchange_Selects

Beginner
Reaction score
I own a New Sega Astro City and have had one heck of a ride trying to get a 15khz 240p interface setup. First I tried the Pandora Box DX (long story short it's a POS). Then I went with ARCADEONE.COM, they have some of the worst customer service I have ever seen. They sent me a dud pc and I lost over $60 due to shipping even after my refund of $700. (they sell Groovymame configured PCs). I still have the J-PAC and would like to know if a legend on this forum would be able to sell a rig setup for my mentioned specs(also open to raspberry pi setups that run NAOMI. I just want to play MVC 2 on my Astro City is that too much to ask lol.

Instead of spending $700 on some crappy PC you could just buy a Naomi setup, and play real MvC2 instead of some emulated version that's probably going to be laggy anyways.

You have an arcade cabinet, put arcade equipment in it.

Instead of spending $700 on some crappy PC you could just buy a Naomi setup, and play real MvC2 instead of some emulated version that's probably going to be laggy anyways.

You have an arcade cabinet, put arcade equipment in it.
true, but I do not want to limit myself to one game, and a Naomi with mvc 2 is very pricey. It's my nuclear option.

Pretty sure you can get a Naomi with a NetDIMM "multi" for however much a PC setup will cost.

E: because this is what you'll end up doing once you become unsatisfied with emulation, which will happen

I made a groovymame setup that works with my astro. But 15khz mode does not work with the naomi/dreamcast emulator. Bugged graphics and whatnot so don't bother with that.

Pretty sure you can get a Naomi with a NetDIMM "multi" for however much a PC setup will cost.

E: because this is what you'll end up doing once you become unsatisfied with emulation, which will happen
what's a good place to buy a setup like that other than ebay, and how does NetDIMM work?

I made a groovymame setup that works with my astro. But 15khz mode does not work with the naomi/dreamcast emulator. Bugged graphics and whatnot so don't bother with that.
Is it it a bug that you can fix for naomi?

I think ebay is your best bet, just search for "naomi netdimm". Nothing wrong with ebay, you have protection as a buyer if something is wrong. You can also start a wanted thread here. I don't have one myself but the setup will either have a CF card or Raspberry pi and LCD selector. You either write the game to CF card or select it on the pi.

Also in this hobby, it is backward to think of the real hardware as the "nuclear option". The "nuclear option" should be emulation, because it really is massively inferior to the real thing, particularly when it comes to more advanced systems like the Naomi.

This forum here will teach you everything you need to know: https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/sega-naomi-triforce-and-chihiro-forum.65/

I would reccomend you go down the path of educating yourself to accomplish your arcade goals. If a groovy mame parts list and YouTube is preventing you from operating an Astro City. I would hate to see what would happen if your monitor didn’t turn on one day.

I’m not trying to come from a place of negativity. I just think you will have a better arcade experience over the next ten by problem solving and not buying your way out of everything.

I saw @jassin had an awesome Jpac portable setup that fit inside his cabs. I would ask him for tips and see if you can’t figure it all out.

Best of luck. I don’t use Mame but I hear good things and the CAVE collection alone on a autoboot front end would be more than worth your time.

i dont think jassin is around here anymore
WTF?! Ahh man. If anyone wants to pm me his info. I would love to reach out to him. Also if someone wants to PM me about why he isn’t around here any longer. I would also love to know. He was a helluva guy and the more I process this the more I upset I get about certain members here using their elite virtue cards against each other.

Jassin has gone out of his way to help me and even shipped his own SD cards, diagram information and troubleshooting for his Jassifier (which is a SUPER amazing device for 31khz arcade monitors with scalers btw)

I won’t clog up this topic any more than my sad shock and will reccomend to OP you start a thread requesting a groovy mame parts list. People here would love to help you. Personally I use a Retrotink 5x and convert HDMI to component and output at 720p and Downscale to SCART. It allows me a perfect 240p image with an RTX 3090 going to my Megaview. No Radeon bottleneck necessary

From what I understand he kept taking threads in weird directions and causing drama and people got sick of it. Should have been a vacation rather than a ban in my opinion but it wasn't for nothing

From what I understand he kept taking threads in weird directions and causing drama and people got sick of it. Should have been a vacation rather than a ban in my opinion but it wasn't for nothing
I sure hope he wasn’t banned. But if I know Jassin. He probably asked to have himself removed because he didn’t take criticism at all.

He had some wild ass arguments about LCD being better than CRT that made my blood boil but I do not want to see him go.

He’s a goddamn staple around here.

Just from my own experience, using a Pi 4 or MiSTer for emulation can work great for certain systems (e.g., CPS, Neo Geo), but if you want to do Naomi, a Pi 4 is not going to cut it. Unfortunately, a Pi 4 is NOT fast enough emulate Naomi games without dropping frames and lag (even when overclocked). To emulate Naomi anything close to real hardware, you're going to need a fast PC running Windows. IMHO, doing so really does detract from the "arcade experience" of "turn on and play." Plus the price does start to get goofy and like others have mentioned, you can get a real Naomi with NetDimm for practically the same price as a Naomi emulation capable PC and not have to fuss with Windows and emulation. There was a complete set (Naomi + NetDimm + Pi + JVS IO) for sale up here a couple weeks back for $550.

Just from my own experience, using a Pi 4 or MiSTer for emulation can work great for certain systems (e.g., CPS, Neo Geo), but if you want to do Naomi, a Pi 4 is not going to cut it. Unfortunately, a Pi 4 is NOT fast enough emulate Naomi games without dropping frames and lag (even when overclocked). To emulate Naomi anything close to real hardware, you're going to need a fast PC running Windows. IMHO, doing so really does detract from the "arcade experience" of "turn on and play." Plus the price does start to get goofy and like others have mentioned, you can get a real Naomi with NetDimm for practically the same price as a Naomi emulation capable PC and not have to fuss with Windows and emulation. There was a complete set (Naomi + NetDimm + Pi + JVS IO) for sale up here a couple weeks back for $550.
$550, and it all just hooks up through Jamma. not too sure how the whole netdimm works

Back