What's new
I’m an ossc Homer but I’m sorta getting antsy and might just go with a retrotink 5x since they’re typically available. I dunno, should I continue to hold out for ossc pro or just go for the 5x? I currently own two osscs, I could sell one of them if I bought the retrotink 5x. I run Atomiswave, Naomi, MVS, CPS2 and CPS3 (also a Saturn) via an ossc. And while I like what I have, I currently have to do an annoying workaround to record / stream video. Which is using an hdmi splitter with one of those generic scart/hdmi scalers to scale the 960p image to 1080p so my Avermedia Live Gamer Portable Pro 2 Plus can accept that video signal. I dunno if this is going off topic but I would like if possible for some recommendations and opinions.

I recommend RetroTINK5X based on the PCB’s you’re playing. They all work great from my experience. I’m able to capture perfectly fine up to 2560x1440p with the latest experimental firmware and Avermedia Live Gamer GC533.

It’s available now and probably the most cost effective compared to the estimated cost to own Morph and OSSC Pro.

I recommend RetroTINK5X based on the PCB’s you’re playing. They all work great from my experience. I’m able to capture perfectly fine up to 2560x1440p with the latest experimental firmware and Avermedia Live Gamer GC533.

It’s available now and probably the most cost effective compared to the estimated cost to own Morph and OSSC Pro.

What would you recommend for my pcbs that run VGA like Naomi and Atomiswave? Do I get that VGA2SCART sync I’ve seen online?

Last edited:
Avoid Castlemania with his HD15-2-Scart, product works great, However buying from that brand is a nightmare.
That that OMG that^!
I have one, and yes its frreaking great (I use it for Dreamcast to RetroTink 5x) but just like above the process of waiting with no contact for 6 months wasn't cool.

I ordered an HD15-2-SCART from Castlemania back in June. Finally got an email yesterday saying that it'll hopefully ship by the end of May. Quite the wait for a straightforward adapter....
Same here 🤦🏻 The wait has been too long for such a trivial thing

The wait has been too long for such a trivial thing
Yea the wait and total lack of communication.
Trivial, thats a hard statement for me to get behind...
The adapter is simply the beez kneez for connecting anything VGA to a Retrotink 5x OR xRGB Mini (if people still use thos).

Prob why we are all willing to put up with Castlemaina's BS just to get one. ;)

Yea the wait and total lack of communication.
The adapter is simply the beez kneez for connecting anything VGA to a Retrotink 5x OR xRGB Mini (if people still use thos).

Prob why we are all willing to put up with Castlemaina's BS just to get one. ;)
Agreed 100000% here. I ended up ordering the VGA2Scart halfway while awaiting for that HD15-2-SCART to arrive. Called out Ryan Castlemania SEVERAL times on social. His business practice is ridiculously stupid. That jerk knows he cornered that market, as you said why we put up with his BS. Hoping to see other makers and businesses eat up his market share one day.

Trivial, in that it’s a simple device AND not very hard to roll your own. I resorted to build one for myself since the long wait and lack of comms.

DC34E9CD-E4B6-4D26-AC52-1C45BF57BD2F.jpeg

I’ll still use the castlemania version once it arrives since it has the audio integrated (mine is just video), but in terms of what this device is, the wait doesn’t really justify.

it’s a simple device AND not very hard to roll your own
Well lets look at yours, nice job and everything... But... Its a "pig tail" style adapter.
The CM adapter is single board/PCB.

No difference, or minor difference you might be saying?
Well I thought so too, that is until I replaced my SCART cable (connects the Hydra SCART switch to my Retrotink 5x SCART port) with this...
1648685886301.jpeg

File_001-25.png

Holy shit dude, zero and I mean fucking ZERO interference with that.
Even the best SCART cable money could buy had interference in my setup, and I didn't just waste my money on one oh no...
I've got like 6 different SCART cables, ALL shit next to that simple adapter (thinking about the money lost angers me).

I'm a convert from here on out... If you've got a signal to deliver, skipping the cable entirely (or at least as much as possible) is the way to go.
Down with pig tails, male-to-male cables, the works.

If only the cable on my official Dreamcast VGA box was a little longer, I could skip the 2nd VGA cable and use a coupler to connect the SCART adapter directly to the box.
Official Dreamcast VGA 480p SCART box :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I threw together this real quick, in case you guys want to build your own :)

I just need to double-check my connections.

1648758056044.png
1648758084265.png

The hardest part is really sourcing the male scart connector.
What software did you use?

I <3 EasyEDA
The pro version releasing soon should be much better, for quick simple things EasyEDA is my goto. More complicated stuff has to be in Eagle, Diptrace or Kicad, but the king is Altium, but that price though :D

The Tim Worthington VGA2Scart adapter works excellent, feature rich and might be something to consider.
"The video timing must already be 15 khz, this adapter does not change the video timing."

Guess you missed that part?
That would be shit for Dreamcast/Naomi if its really only 15khz support.
Maybe he means to say "this dose not change the video signal" (aka meaning it actually supports 31khz if the device on the output side supports it)? :huh:

I love love love Tim's 8pin Din to SCART.

"The video timing must already be 15 khz, this adapter does not change the video timing."

Guess you missed that part?
That would be shit for Dreamcast/Naomi if its really only 15khz support.
Maybe he means to say "this dose not change the video signal" (aka meaning it actually supports 31khz if the device on the output side supports it)? :huh:

I love love love Tim's 8pin Din to SCART.
All these VGA to Scart adapters are passthru and only convert the connectors. At most there’s attentuation built in. Still requires a scaler at the end to convert video if needed as I understand.

Still requires a scaler at the end to convert video if needed as I understand.
Well as I understand it... 31khz over SCART is a hack, in that originally/as set by the spec it was purely a 15khz connector only (hence the composited sync).
Modern devices like scalers support 31khz over SCART sure, provided that sync is composited.

Interestingly enough, the L5 series of PVMs actually support even/upto 45khz (aka 720p/1080i) over 5-wire (RGBs) BNC, again/like with scalers provided the H/V syncs are composited first.

Back