What's new

stj

Grand Master
Reaction score
does anybody know how to generate edge pads like on a jamma fingerboard??
Eagle 7.x or KiCad.
i'v used eagle for years and never had to generate a connector on the board - cant find anything in the Library's that relate to it. :(

does anybody know how to generate edge pads like on a jamma fingerboard??
Eagle 7.x or KiCad.
i'v used eagle for years and never had to generate a connector on the board - cant find anything in the Library's that relate to it. :(
I had the same question, the best answer I was able to find it buried in this (un-indexed by google) documentation here
https://docs.kicad.org/6.0/en/pcbnew/pcbnew.html

Specifically
Working with pads -> Pad type -> edge connector
Edge Connector pads are SMD pads that are allowed to overlap the board outline on the Edge.Cuts layer.

Its not a very good answer, because it means I needed to do each pad individually - but it was the only answer I could find.

• Sad
Reactions: stj
you would think after 60 fucking years of edge connectors, cad programmers would know what they are!

Yes, create a footprint with pads for edge connectors. SMD footprints for older versions of KiCad, edge connector pads in newer. I create one pad at the origin, with the correct size/offset, then use the array feature to create the required number of pins.
Edit: I put the origin of the pad at the top, that way wires are snapped there, instead of being sometimes routed between pads. It is a good idea to mask out copper fill and solder mask in the area of the edge connector.

I create the actual edge together with the outline in freecad, as I can use the various constraints to make sure everything is sized and spaced correctly. I then put a small cross where the origin of the first pad should be, export as DXF, then import into KiCad onto the edge.cuts layer. I use the small cross to line up the ouline with the grid, then delete the cross.

That should produce a PCB with a perfectly aligned edge connector, and because both the outline and the pads are aligned with the grid they can be easily replaced.

(I document pads on the silkscreen as well - helps with debugging, especially with more than a handful of pins.)

Last edited:
Back