What's new

flipout

Beginner
Reaction score
Sorry if that's confusing subject.. but I'm trying to cover some things here.. I feel very novice asking this.. and in actuality I'm not.. however I am a tad new to SMD rework.. but definably not rework over all.. If I go to be specific to what I'm inquiring about.. I would say I picked up TEKKEN 2 ver. B jamma pcb and have worked it out.. replaced a cap and am in need of replacing DRAM the video RAM on the board.. IC23 specifically .. KM4216V256G-60

So what I'm wandering is.. for the most of you.. since my research shows that while the chip its self is not as rare as chicken teeth necessarily.. getting replacements from you general component suppliers doesn't seem to be as feasible for such a chip.. and I'm not even sure on cost.. I was seeing I think as much as 5 US per chip plus possible shipping.. anyway..

For the majority of folks doing such.. are they getting from donor boards .. ones that are shit and irreparable.. to get these chips.. sure more work.. but seems like a better alternative.. (small scale)

moreover.. yes I did look up the numbers.. datasheet .. etc. and I do see it's just DRAM for video.. and what the numbers correlate.. but I didn't really get anywhere.. as to crossing the part.. or anything else.. I starting to pull hair out and shit..

Thanks for any input..

Regards..

I’m sure it differs by person, but I keep a small stack of donor boards around. there are tons of broken namco system 11/12 out there — for cheap. I keep an eye on YAJ junk boards or eBay broken boards, or at KLoV since I’m in the USA, and grab busted stuff every so often to either attempt a repair or keep as parts.

but I don’t have too many, space is not infinite. sometimes I strip the useful parts and toss the board.

Most of the time I get individual chips from eBay (if obsolete) or mouser / digikey for current. All logic is purchasable new. Caps, new. Roms sometimes have new flash equivalent. Otherwise I use jk_parts on eBay, who has functioning chips in my experience. RAM I try to hunt down the equivalents if I can’t find the exact replacement, using keywords like the size, voltage, and package. My last ditch effort is using a supplier from octopart or trying overseas like utsource

Last edited:
Back