What's new
27c322 have almost doubled since my last order. One supplier just refunded me and said they couldn't access their facility due to lockdowns.

Guess that means I actually need to learn what I’m doing and buy components! Do I just go buy any old thing with 27c322 or 16v8 GAL in the name, or are there other parameters I need to care about? It looks like 16v8 GAL comes in multiple form factors. And do I need to buy enough to populate every spot on the Fluffy boards, or does it vary by game?

Put me down for three sets when available, please. Thanks!!

FYI: I'm now in my German HQ and ordered another batch.
I'll have to wait for any taxes/charges before I can confirm the cost, but I'm planning to change the price to Euro.

Edit: I am still waiting for some equipment that was in my luggage, that didn't get loaded in Birmingham. Shouldn't be a problem for anyone here as I can re-buy it if it doesn't arrive.
Exciting stuff! Looking forward to it!

Such cool news re: new developments and of course, the new batch arriving!! Properly jonesing for these :thumbsup:
TJ

27c322 have almost doubled since my last order. One supplier just refunded me and said they couldn't access their facility due to lockdowns.
Yep the 27c322 have gone around double in the last 4 months, also the Euro and AUD have crashed a bit since then so that's made it even worse for non US citizens. But I expect them to double again at some point so I've been buying what I'll need in the future now. Bought quite a few bulk capacitor and resistor books and all that stuff a few months ago.

so how many total of each rom will we need? I'm a budget hobbyist I need to plan ahead for these things.

That’s tough, I can’t remember the exact number (looks like 10 eeprom chips per set) but I got mine on AliExpress or eBay and made sure to get extra, you usually get some duds buying used and I didn’t see anywhere to buy new chips (though I didn’t look particularly hard).

Guess that means I actually need to learn what I’m doing and buy components! Do I just go buy any old thing with 27c322 or 16v8 GAL in the name, or are there other parameters I need to care about? It looks like 16v8 GAL comes in multiple form factors. And do I need to buy enough to populate every spot on the Fluffy boards, or does it vary by game?
GAL16V8 has multiple generations and they’re all old and many are obsolete so you’re buying recycled ones. https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/microchip-technology/ATF16V8B-15PU/1118926 Is currently produced and cheap and reliable in my experience, use that if your programmer supports it.

M27C322 was made by ST and that’s basically it - no real substitutes. Also obsolete but there are plenty still. I wish they were as cheap as they used to be but that’s how it goes.

@ekorz Thanks for taking the time to write that. Looks like I can find GAL programmers on Ebay. Anything in particular I should look for? Can I just get one of those Chinese TL866II programmers I see all over to program both GAL16V8 and M27C322?

They must have just gotten more stock of atf16v8b. Two weeks ago they had none with long lead time so I looked for other sources...

I prefer buying new for those for sure.

@ekorz Thanks for taking the time to write that. Looks like I can find GAL programmers on Ebay. Anything in particular I should look for? Can I just get one of those Chinese TL866II programmers I see all over to program both GAL16V8 and M27C322?
Yes but you’d be programming the 27c322 with an adapter to switch banks. That takes splitting the files and being careful to program the banks in the right order. And a lot of time. Good value if you don’t do this often but I prefer at least having 42pin device support natively. https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...ammer-for-most-arcade-hobbyists-to-have.4046/

Thanks again, @ekorz. It looks like Top3000 is widely used for its compatibility and low price, even though they’re unreliable and the software is awful. The upgrades several mentioned are all much more expensive ($450+), and I’m not sure how often I’ll use a programmer. Because of the reliability issues, I’m going to wait until I have everything else on hand so I can figure out quickly if it even works. I don’t even have an IGS PGM on hand (GC8Tech is modding one for me), so I can’t even test the legit carts and conversions I have yet.

I use the TL866II for programming mine, I have the 27c322 adaptor from old mate in New Zealand. Yep it takes days to program them but still the TL866II is I think the best and most useful thing I've ever bought in my life. It can program just about everything has a logic chip tester and so on. Just magnificent. I bought 3 PGMs from Aliexpress, all are absolutely perfect so I haven't spent much.

Back