What's new
I asked about this back in December and never heard anything.

This week, I decided to make my own.

It wasn't very difficult at all.

I used the Adafruit Trinket Mini 3v/5v which cost me around $10.

I tested it out on MV1C and MV1B hardware with the Series 1 and Series 2 Banana carts.

It worked great.

It only requires 4 wires to be soldered. I chose to solder right to the JAMMA connector, keeping my PCB clean.

I wired it up to my supergun, so it's portable.

If you modify the code and eliminate the ability to load the standard 161 in 1 menu, you could cut it down to 3 wires.

If you aren't familiar with the Adafruit Trinket Mini 3v/5v PCB you can check them out here.

The trinket is compatible with most Arduino libraries.

I had to flash a different bootloader onto the Trinket because it was taking 3 seconds for it to run any code.
I needed to use an Arduino Uno to flash the new bootloader.

I link the new bootloader in the README.

You can get the code from here if you are interested: https://github.com/GeorgeSpinner/Adafruit_Trinket_Mini_Auto_PICKnMIX

Last edited:
This is an image of the adafruit trinket installed in a timeharvest cbox.
IMG-20220128-WA0003.jpg

I wanted to include a pic with the original post but didn't have one.

I asked about this back in December and never heard anything.

This week, I decided to make my own.

It wasn't very difficult at all.

I used the Adafruit Trinket Mini 3v/5v which cost me around $10.

I tested it out on MV1C and MV1B hardware with the Series 1 and Series 2 Banana carts.

It worked great.

It only requires 4 wires to be soldered. I chose to solder right to the JAMMA connector, keeping my PCB clean.

I wired it up to my supergun, so it's portable.

If you modify the code and eliminate the ability to load the standard 161 in 1 menu, you could cut it down to 3 wires.

If you aren't familiar with the Adafruit Trinket Mini 3v/5v PCB you can check them out here.

The trinket is compatible with most Arduino libraries.

I had to flash a different bootloader onto the Trinket because it was taking 3 seconds for it to run any code.
I needed to use an Arduino Uno to flash the new bootloader.

I link the new bootloader in the README.

You can get the code from here if you are interested: https://github.com/GeorgeSpinner/Adafruit_Trinket_Mini_Auto_PICKnMIX
Does it work on MV1C motherboard?

Never got the original pick n mix to work on this version

Does it work on MV1C motherboard?

Never got the original pick n mix to work on this version
Yes. I've tested on mv1b and mv1c. It will work on any MVS that supports PICKnMIX as it just forces the start button down for 5 seconds.

If you want to skip PICKnMIX you hold the button of your choice. It's kinda the opposite of how PICKnMIX works by default.

PICKnMIX can also be started with the select button. If you wanted to start it that way you could just wire to JAMMA pin 16 instead of 17.

I would recommend installing it right on the JAMMA edge connector. That's how I've done it so far.

I have it working in 5 different boards right now.

@GeorgeSpinner I'm just signing up to thank you for releasing this fix. I don't know how to use arduino, but I will learn just to make this project.

Really thank you.

@GeorgeSpinner I'm just signing up to thank you for releasing this fix. I don't know how to use arduino, but I will learn just to make this project.

Really thank you.
You're very welcome. I'm glad you are finding it useful.

I didn't know anything about Arduino either. I have a programming background, but had not done anything with Arduino, other than install the IDE to update my GBS-C's firmware.

If you need any help, let me know.

You're very welcome. I'm glad you are finding it useful.

I didn't know anything about Arduino either. I have a programming background, but had not done anything with Arduino, other than install the IDE to update my GBS-C's firmware.

If you need any help, let me know.
Hello again @GeorgeSpinner , finally I have update the bootloader to boot faster. I was thinking that it gonna be the worst part, but not it wasen't XD.

Now I'm not able to upload to the trinket your code.

I'm following this manual and when I upload the program I have this output in Arduino IDE:

Removed

Any Idea?

Thank you again.

Last edited:
Please edit your message and remove all that output. It's not necessary.

It looks like you are trying to load an incorrect file.

It looks like you cut and paste the entire html page or something. You just need to download the zip file provided by GitHub.

Rename the file I've attached to end in just .ino and load that.

Did you load the adafruit library into the Arduino IDE?

You need to choose the correct board and loader.

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-trinket/setting-up-with-arduino-ide

Attachments

• adafruit_trinket_PICKnMIX.ino.txt
    2 KB · Views: 69
Please edit your message and remove all that output. It's not necessary.

It looks like you are trying to load an incorrect file.

It looks like you cut and paste the entire html page or something. You just need to download the zip file provided by GitHub.

Rename the file I've attached to end in just .ino and load that.

Did you load the adafruit library into the Arduino IDE?

You need to choose the correct board and loader.

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-trinket/setting-up-with-arduino-ide
Thank you for the quick reply. This file that you attach makes more sense XD I was surprised how complicate was the previous ino file just to close and open a circuit 5 secs later from the boot. It was my fault, I download the RAW file and it have html content. Next time I will not work until late hours in the night XD

When I go back to home I will try. I already load the adafruit repository and intalled the libraries and choose the board (tools>board>adafruit trinket 8MHz)

I will custom my instalation wiring the adafruit to close the JAMMAs 26th pin to choose game using the SELECT button (PIN 26) insted of the START to boot and A and B to choose. In this alternative coins are the PIN 16 and T.

I will post the results. This alternative is more close to the original MVS where you have a dedicated button to choose a game. While you are pressing you can navigate from the game list with the stick, or just pressing once, jump to the next game in the list.

Last edited:
Good. I could see the errors were HTML, so I assumed the ino file was incorrect.

I think, for a cabinet, the select option is probably very good, if you have coin buttons wired up.

I have not used it in that configuration. I have been using it on Superguns and cmvs. The 2 cabinets that are using it (not mine) are using the start button configuration. I know 1 of them doesn't have coin buttons wired. I'm not sure about the other.

Which trinket I should use 3,3v or 5v?

I have a MV1FZ board.

And thx for this fix!!

Which trinket I should use 3,3v or 5v?

I have a MV1FZ board.

And thx for this fix!!
Both of them works great. In this fix, you don't use the V5 or V3.3 output, so really it doesn't matter.

@GeorgeSpinner Thank you for the help, now everything works great!!!!!! I will upload photos when I finnish my project.

Both of them works great. In this fix, you don't use the V5 or V3.3 output, so really it doesn't matter.

@GeorgeSpinner Thank you for the help, now everything works great!!!!!! I will upload photos when I finnish my project.
You're welcome!
I'm glad you got it working!

You are correct. 3.3v is a little cheaper, so I started buying those instead of 5v.

now i have all parts here. is there a toturial how i update the bootloader with the uno?

now i have all parts here. is there a toturial how i update the bootloader with the uno?
Follow this tutorial. To update the bootloader you have to do it like a reparation. Them just record the George's INO file like you can see in the same tutorial but with another example of course.

i found my way and now it works flawless. THX!!! now, the PicknMix works like it should! awesome project!

one last thing, is it possible to disable the LED's?

i found my way and now it works flawless. THX!!! now, the PicknMix works like it should! awesome project!

one last thing, is it possible to disable the LED's?
That's great! I'm glad you got it working. The hardest part is flashing the bootloader and that's not really hard. Just tedious.

I don't know anything about the LEDs, so I can't say.

The Trinket is a very mature device though, so there might be info on it out there.

Edit:

According to the adafruit support forums, you can remove the LEDs.

https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=106301

Someone recommended cracking them off.

I'm attempting to do this now and I am running into the same issue of not being able to load your code after doing the bootloader.

I used an ATmega2560 to reload the bootloader, because I had that lying around and didn't want to purchase an Uno. I followed this guide (http://mario.mtechcreations.com/programing/arduino-mega-to-repair-trinket-bootloader/) to modify the pin numbers in the modified trinketloader for the ATmega and was able to successfully load the bootloader.

However, I cannot program the trinket. I assume you program over the microUSB connection on the trinket, correct? I followed the guide to add the Adafruit trinket board to the Arduino IDE and I selected USBTinyISP as the programmer. When I try to program I get the following output which indicates the bootloader is not ready.

Code:
avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

I tried the guide's suggestion of pressing the button on the trinket and it didn't work.

I'm attempting to do this now and I am running into the same issue of not being able to load your code after doing the bootloader.

I used an ATmega2560 to reload the bootloader, because I had that lying around and didn't want to purchase an Uno. I followed this guide (http://mario.mtechcreations.com/programing/arduino-mega-to-repair-trinket-bootloader/) to modify the pin numbers in the modified trinketloader for the ATmega and was able to successfully load the bootloader.

However, I cannot program the trinket. I assume you program over the microUSB connection on the trinket, correct? I followed the guide to add the Adafruit trinket board to the Arduino IDE and I selected USBTinyISP as the programmer. When I try to program I get the following output which indicates the bootloader is not ready.

Code:

I tried the guide's suggestion of pressing the button on the trinket and it didn't work.
I'm no expert but these questions come to mind:

Which version of the arduino ide are you using?

I believe I read 1.8.6 is the version you are supposed to use. There are some bugs with the newer version I think.

Do you have the port set correctly?

Are you sure you successfully programmed the bootloader?

You added the adafruit libraries to Arduino ide?

If you get truly stuck, PM me.

Back