What's new

xodaraP

Legendary
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out, I have what looks like a faulty PLS153 on a board (Mortal Kombat) and I'm hoping I can use a GAL as a replacement for the device. @Porchy has been kind enough to post up the PLS153 JEDEC file on JAMMArcade, but I don't have a PLS153 or a compatible programmer :(

Any chance this is something you can do @Apocalypse ?

if you have a GAL18V10 then you can most likely fit the PLS153 equations into one of those without issue. The equations are simple looking with nothing weird going on from what I can see

Any chance it will fit onto a GAL16V8? If not I think I have a 18V10 here somewhere....

Edit: Yep, found one on a System 16B motherboard that was missing one.

Thank you porchy :D

no chance im afraid
The PLS153 has an extra output pins on pin 9 which this chip is using. On a GAL16V8 this pin is exclusively an input
The GAL18V10 has pin 9 as a programmable IO so can support

Ah understood. I have a GAL18V10 here so I can use that. I appreciate your help :)

How do I go about converting the equations from one to the other (can't say I've done this before) or do you mean I can use the JED file as is on a GAL18V10

And received - thanks very much porchy :D the board still isn't running, but it puts me in the right direction since I can see more than I could before

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out, I have what looks like a faulty PLS153 on a board (Mortal Kombat) and I'm hoping I can use a GAL as a replacement for the device. @Porchy has been kind enough to post up the PLS153 JEDEC file on JAMMArcade, but I don't have a PLS153 or a compatible programmer :(

Any chance this is something you can do @Apocalypse ?
It seems to be supported by the venerable Dataman 48. Thing is I need a parallel port to use it and the desktop computer I kept for this purpose has decided to died.

Back