What's new
Before I get to polishing this donor tube harvested from a TV, I have to make sure it works with the MS9 chassis first:

DDP_Test_Donor_Tube.jpg

Screen curve fitment with the bezel has already been confirmed and is perfect; no light bleed between screen glass and bezel at all. Still have to check mounting fitment and determine if spacing washers are going to be required, or reverse mounting to the frame is going to be required, or not. These are small challenges (I believe).

This image is snapped is of the tube totally uncalibrated but it looks like I am in good shape. The interesting thing about this tube was there were no convergence rings. I added the MS9 convergence rings to the neck expecting I would have to do some convergence, But it looks sold except for some degaussing that has to happen at the top of the tube. I suspect this tube does not need convergence rings, so I will pull them off tomorrow and see how it goes sans c-rings. The back side of this tube bellows out much further than an actual MS9 tube, so the chassis cannot sit properly in the MS9 frame's tray. Rather than modify the MS9 frame, I will use another 29" frame I have handy for the job. Interestingly though, I don't see any geometry issues as a result of the tube's deeper bellowed shape forming into the neck. All of this bodes very well.

Will test final fitment and calibrate it one last time tomorrow as a final sanity check, then get to polishing the glass sometime this week as all my tools have arrived ready for the job.

I know old thread, but I have a blast city with the same hazziness on the screen coating, and was wondering if the kit for the headlights on cars would be enough to remove the coating. Has anyone try that?

If no scratches to the glass itself and only damage to the coating, I would stick with the Novus method and a cheap wool pad for your drill. Did one recently and it is a 15 minute deal if glass itself is scratch free.

If no scratches to the glass itself and only damage to the coating, I would stick with the Novus method and a cheap wool pad for your drill. Did one recently and it is a 15 minute deal if glass itself is scratch free.
I actually did this, but instead used stovetop cleaner. And it came out good.
Also, didn't know the coating was purple? 20230827_135344.jpg

Do you mean an electric stove glass cleaner? Some gas stovetop cleaners are pretty harsh.
Yes, sorry. Electric stove glass top.

Very interesting that both new astro and blast city monitors had that purple stuff on screen.

Yes, sorry. Electric stove glass top.

Very interesting that both new astro and blast city monitors had that purple stuff on screen.
I’m going to try the stove cleaner this weekend. Seems like it does a pretty good job on the appliance.

I’m going to try the stove cleaner this weekend. Seems like it does a pretty good job on the appliance.
Do it!

It took about an hour for me. Maybe a bit more depending. I think if I got a more coarse pad instead of those soft polishing ones, it would of gotten faster.
And yeah....Holy hell on the spray everywhere!!! Had alot of cleaning on the other cabs,floor,and walls.

My Toshiba tube actually had a greenish coating. Had to boost the green gun a little to compensate after I removed the coating.

Never knew this could be done to a monitor. :thumbsup:

Those before and after shots are comical. If you think adding a material that darkens the output somehow increases vibrancy, I'm not sure what to tell you.

The film he used also has zero anti glare qualities. Looks like the film reflects better than the glass.

I run an arcade. I absolutely see value in the anti glare coatings. Mirror-like monitor surfaces can be very distracting. However, if you're running CRTs at home in a darkened room with few other light sources (at least not ones that are directly opposing), you'll be better off without the coating. You'll have a brighter, clearer picture.

Last edited:
The antiglare after pics with the super vibrant pic does look questionable..

In europe, a range of cabinets called xenon from electrocoin all had tinted glass in them in front of a hantarex 25 inch:

20221208_140325-scaled.jpg

The Mini Cute has tinted plexiglass. Makes it a pain in the arse to calibrate color and brightness to compensate.

Attachments

• IMG_8576.jpeg
    IMG_8576.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 30
The neo geo dual slot American cab also has tinted front glass. I was thinking of taking it off but... looks weird with out it.

Back