What's new

Do you currently own a Naomi Netboot/CF setup?

• Total voters
I've got a netboot setup and I don't find it the pain in the ass others seem to, but that may also be because I have a JVS cabinet to connect it straight into.

I think a NAOMI multi is a great idea HOWEVER as I have said in previous similar threads, the netboot solution while not perfect does work, likewise the CF route, where there are other systems with horrifically expensive/rare games for which no multi or no proper multi system exists:

CPS1: Exists but impossible to buy, Chinese multi is sold out and finished, French multi is no longer sold and was never sold outside of France

PGM: Not my thing but given Cave shmups and it's relative similarity to MVS hardware, it would be a popular and possibly easier multi to create depending on just how close the code base is to MVS

System 16: My most wanted multi. There are just so many great games on this system. Fantasy Zone, Shinobi, Alex Kidd, Altered Beast etc. - I wish I was able to program ASM so I could look into it myself

Wolf unit: Pipe dream, would actually rather see a repro/multi solution as the boards are stupidly fragile.

Also let's not forget before any of these even get considered, the Neo multi has bugs that need ironing out and there's still quite a few people waiting for those.

I'd rather have something similar to the CPS2 multi where I can select games at the hardware source rather than relying on network accessibility.
Which is exactly how netboot works if you have an RPi connected. You just have an Ethernet cable instead of the flat cable that goes to the screen on the CPS2 multi. And a power cable that you can either connect to the NAOMI filter board, or to an external power source if you prefer.

I'm confused about the hate for the NetDIMM here - I have a Naomi with a NetDimm and PiForce, and yes, it was a slight hassle to set up at the very start (I have a traumatic memory of the bios upgrade suddenly working after many many failed attempts), but now it's no harder than any other multi, and I think it's the one I've had the least trouble with. I pick a game on the LCD exactly like I would with one of DarkSoft's multis, load it, and everything just works - and of course the games are great.

You hate it once you realize that this system could be powered by a 3A 12V power brick + DC converter after you get rid of the Netdimm thingie.

While I like the idea of a NAOMI multi, it kind of puts the focus on a single motherboard where games are managed on the one motherboard. In a home arcade with multiple NAOMIs (and Chihiros and Triforces), netbooting is a universal solution where everything can be managed across all motherboards (and even multiple motherboards) from a single source. I am currently working on my own personal Raspberry Pi netboot server to drive 3 cabs. All game files will be stored on the server and an easy to access web interface will let me launch games as needed on any of my cabs.

Throwing a NAOMI multi into my mix would remove the NAOMI from a setup that I'm already going to have to keep for the Chihiro and Triforce, so I wouldn't have much motivation to migrate away from netbooting.

While I like the idea of a NAOMI multi, it kind of puts the focus on a single motherboard where games are managed on the one motherboard. In a home arcade with multiple NAOMIs (and Chihiros and Triforces), netbooting is a universal solution where everything can be managed across all motherboards (and even multiple motherboards) from a single source. I am currently working on my own personal Raspberry Pi netboot server to drive 3 cabs. All game files will be stored on the server and an easy to access web interface will let me launch games as needed on any of my cabs.

Throwing a NAOMI multi into my mix would remove the NAOMI from a setup that I'm already going to have to keep for the Chihiro and Triforce, so I wouldn't have much motivation to migrate away from netbooting.
I do my basement arcade this way. One laptop can boot all the NAOMIS / chihiro

Agree to the positives of netbooting, but...

most peeps dont have multiple cabs or even a chihiro or triforce along with a naomi. Most have a supergun and a naomi.

You hate it once you realize that this system could be powered by a 3A 12V power brick + DC converter after you get rid of the Netdimm thingie.
Plus like deibit states, being able to power the naomi with a simpler supply is a++

A naomi multi cart/pcb could be made to interface/have a built-in Rpi that could be made to function like a netdimm/rpi wireless setup.

So all the positives I can see if addressed:

Lower possibly a psu that doesnt need to be calibrated/tweaked by elec. engineers/magic rainbow unicorns and able to jumpstart a sun star. :D
Lower profile, easier setup/configuration/ not as much wiring.
Integrated option for a rpi to give all the features of wireless netbooting.
Can still have a tethered control display if needed.
Probably easier to integrate a proper reset of the naomi for the AW conversions that dont reset properly at the moment, if still needed.
Almost instant loading without all the error crap, multiple reloading and ram checks that the netdimm does now.
it can probably solve the issue of high score saves. Unlike netdimm setup where battery dies, scores are gone.

A naomi with and simpler PSU (if needed) can be had for about what $50-75.

A netdimm setup will probably run at least $400-450. A naomi 2 might fetch a slightly higher

I rather pay more than the difference towards a proper multi cart that has the pros of the netdimm and none of the cons.

I guarantee that most will go for the multi cart, than try and do a netdimm setup. Even those with netdimm setups will probably do a switch over.

Last edited:
How can we assume lower PSU demand without design of the product? It could very well take just as much power as a DIMM board for all we know.

How can we assume lower PSU demand without design of the product? It could very well take just as much power as a DIMM board for all we know.
Fixed my comment, but maybe one day we will get an answer to it, if Darksoft ever makes a naomi multi. :)

come on, it's a dreamcast without gdrom and a passive I/O port, I could probably power it with the static created by rubbing my two hands together.

But noooo.. It's much cooler to power it with an extremely crappy obsolete 18 years old PSU.

come on, it's a dreamcast without gdrom and a passive I/O port, I could probably power it with the static created by rubbing my two hands together.

But noooo.. It's much cooler to power it with an extremely crappy obsolete 18 years old PSU.
Ok, thats it, we gotta speak with DS to make this happen as one of his future projects.

Realistically though isn't the idea to be able to power with a non-modified capcom IO?

If the multi cart can run only 5v and not need 3.3v, or produce that voltage itself, then maybe it could be done.

Otherwise I fail to see how a power supply that can only handle a mobo+normal cart will suffice for something that will likely be more advanced and demanding.

If the multi cart can run only 5v and not need 3.3v, or produce that voltage itself, then maybe it could be done.
Im sure @Darksoft would take this into account when making a multi ;)

BTW: is there a source for schematics/diagrams for the naomi/netdimms, etc...?

I'm thinking more of a pico psu thingie integrated inside the case, powered by a 12v brick or plug.

I'm thinking more of a pico psu thingie integrated inside the case, powered by a 12v brick or plug.
Thats a cool idea, but for the sake of not modding the naomi, you can also use this as an external psu replacement option :)

I wish there was a better replacement for the Sun PSU that just adds more bulk to the rats nest that is a Naomi netboot setup and always seems like it would go up in flames and burn your house down if left on too long. I even tried a standard PC ATX PSU with adapter but that wouldnt work with netboot. If anyone did a kickstarter for a small replacement for the SUN PSU I would be first in the queue.

What's the problem with the SUN PSUs?
I've had a few SUN PSUs that needed a recap but I've got them in a few cabs including my Model 3 VO setup and my test bench and they've been nothing but reliable work horses for me.

20 years old PSU technology
Discontinued
Lacks any kind of accepted certification
Hackerish grounding
100v only

I think the question is.. What's good with them?

I know what's good with them..

Once the multi cart comes, I'm going to sell all the SUN PSUs I have (one of them brand new) for a ridiculously overpriced amount of money :thumbsup:

Back