What's new

PaulWoodpross3r

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bought a repro board of this Sega part from the folks at Arcade Art Shop in UK. I believe it originally came with the Star Wars Trilogy (M3 Step 2) cabinet since I decided to include it in this sub-forum. I bought one in hopes it comes in handy with some of my modded home controls I use daily on Naomi 2 and M2A-C/M3.
7554058828_cc543e488f_z.jpg
(The photo does not belong to me.)

For any experienced users of same board, what does it actually do? Does it like amplify pot values to a wider range than the pot could normally go? I have a custom modded Microsoft Sidewinder Precision wheel and pedal set where the pedals' pots range from about 48H to B7H. These pedals share the same two 5V and GND lines and plug directly to the wheel base on the internal motherboard of the Sidewinder wheel, where on cabinets the pedals IIRC use separate VCC and GND lines for each individual pot. The aforementioned ranges were acceptable with Daytona 2 as I could win 1st place in the Advanced and Expert tracks and select everything, likewise with Scud Race & my Chihiro Outrun 2 SP board (which also does not have calibration menus). On Sega Rally (2A), the accelerator was f**ked and would go go because the value for it is over 30H which it needs to be released under or to around that value. It centers to around 7D-7E instead of 80H also (though they centered fine).

Happ made a similar board that allows you to adjust the ranges from min, center, to max. I've seen those included with other analog joystick games like Sky Target, Rail Chase 2, and SWT itself.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change those pots out in the future and replace them with 5k ones of same size. (I haven't even taken the pedals apart and have chosen not to open them right now unless something breaks). But would this get me remotely somewhere without having to change the pots out?

Well, I guess I have an answer to this question. My pot amp board arrived Saturday. I plugged Dupont connectors from my pedals' signal wires to the amp board, going directly to my Scud Race stack. I can confirm that this indeed adjusts the ranges of the pedals fully to minimum and maximum value. I can see the value of one for analog controls that have an issue with range adjustments, namely pedals. My Microsoft Sidewinder Pedals now went from straight 00 to FFH in the test menu. This will come in handy when I want to fire Sega Rally again, but Scud and Daytona 2 play without any problems with the stock Microsoft pedals.

Pinout, from Planet Harriers (Hikaru) manual:
Input
1. AVCC
2. AVCC
3. Y-axis (I used this for brake)
4. X-axis (I used this for gas)
5. AGND
6. AGND

Output
1. AVCC
2. Y-axis
3. X-axis