What's new
As it stands there will be VAT (and possible customs) between UK and EU countries from 1.1.2021. That is if they can't make a deal before that. This is a deal breaker for me.

I've only paid tax once on am item I imported. it was for the wave solder machine I bought last year. I think taxes was $80 and the machine was between 2 and 3k.

We can't complain about import taxes in the USA. Individuals anyways. Im sure some companies say different.

I think in the USA we only pay import tax if the item is over $800, but like you said, even then it's very very low.
I've bought a lot of things over $1k with no import taxes. Guitars, cabs, PCB's, books, computers, etc.

Only time I've been taxed was for 40-50 pieces of Taito stools in one shipment. And UPS had told me that was because I was over a certain dollar amount for the furniture category.

So I think it depends on the type of item as well as the dollar amount?

VAT in EU can be as high as 20%. It is not an insignificant amount. That is the price of living there. In comparison, on my normal containers from Japan for example, I pay maybe $600 tops for customs, including all the processing costs. That’s on 40 or so cabs. There is a VERY clear-cut difference in the cost of importing between the two regions.

VAT in EU can be as high as 20%. It is not an insignificant amount. That is the price of living there. In comparison, on my normal containers from Japan for example, I pay maybe $600 tops for customs, including all the processing costs. That’s on 40 or so cabs. There is a VERY clear-cut difference in the cost of importing between the two region
24% in Finland :thumbdown:

VAT in EU can be as high as 20%. It is not an insignificant amount. That is the price of living there. In comparison, on my normal containers from Japan for example, I pay maybe $600 tops for customs, including all the processing costs. That’s on 40 or so cabs. There is a VERY clear-cut difference in the cost of importing between the two region
21% in Romania

In comparison, on my normal containers from Japan for example, I pay maybe $600 tops for customs, including all the processing costs. That’s on 40 or so cabs. There is a VERY clear-cut difference in the cost of importing between the two regions.
Well, no. I pay more or less the same after the container hits the port. I don't pay tax on import, because like you, I run a business. However, if I sell the cabs locally (= inside the EU) I have to add VAT on top of the price. The end customer is the one paying it. It isn't really that different from sales tax you have in some US states.

If g60hot is selling the cabs outside the UK and the UK has left the EU for good, he doesn't have to charge VAT. For EU buyers, VAT is then charged at the border.

So no, you won't be double taxed at any point.

Well, no. I pay more or less the same after the container hits the port. I don't pay tax on import, because like you, I run a business. However, if I sell the cabs locally (= inside the EU) I have to add VAT on top of the price. The end customer is the one paying it. It isn't really that different from sales tax you have in some US states.

If g60hot is selling the cabs outside the UK and the UK has left the EU for good, he doesn't have to charge VAT. For EU buyers, VAT is then charged at the border.

So no, you won't be double taxed at any point.
That makes a lot of sense, thanks. So in the end there would be VAT difference (UK 20% vs Finland 24%) + VAT from shipping. That would add up to around £100 extra.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. So in the end there would be VAT difference (UK 20% vs Finland 24%) + VAT from shipping. That would add up to around £100 extra.
Sounds about right, yes.

hey @hursit do you have a direct contact with soemone at japanarama? they're not responding to messages sent through their website :(
thanks!
Heyyes i have direct contact with him, and sent him a message about it
He is not active in here for 1 month too
hey, sorry to bring this up again, but still no news from your man in the uk.
I'm sure he's a reputable person but I dont think I'm ready to hand over 1900+ EUR to someone who doesn't bother answering my messages, just saying!
(also, I understand he's a busy man, but apparently not too busy to post new arcade listings on arcade otaku)
not anyone's fault, definitely not yours, I understand, but this is the state of things for me.

@asra That’s exact what I told here a few weeks ago and I got a quick answer from other people that he is a real good guy etc and with other words I need shut it :thumbsup:
But he can t even respond here ...but can take the time to unload a container on Otaku ?(

Last edited:
VAT in EU can be as high as 20%. It is not an insignificant amount. That is the price of living there. In comparison, on my normal containers from Japan for example, I pay maybe $600 tops for customs, including all the processing costs. That’s on 40 or so cabs. There is a VERY clear-cut difference in the cost of importing between the two regions.
50% product value + 50% shipping value in any item any category except books....know Argentina struggle

Last edited:
21% in Romania
Turkey to Romania 711 miles

Turkey to California 7,632 miles

Welcome to International tax policies.

21% in Romania
Turkey to Romania 711 miles
Turkey to California 7,632 miles

Welcome to International tax policies.
You know ... i was planning in my head to ask Hursit to go on his deposit with a car and pay directly to him ... and after that to pay on customs if i need to do this . I'm not to far from my city to Turkey !

i was planning in my head to ask Hursit to go on his deposit with a car and pay directly to him ... and after that to pay on customs if i need to do this . I'm not to far from my city to Turkey !
3f470576b4df12332b9839ae0a3ec1bbe77d065942e5d1e1c6a027aa3a4324d9.jpg

As it stands there will be VAT (and possible customs) between UK and EU countries from 1.1.2021. That is if they can't make a deal before that. This is a deal breaker for me.
There's not going to be a "deal" with the UK, why should it be? so be ready to pay *extra*

In case of Germany you should add 19%+4%=23% in addition to current Japanarama's quote.

I really hope that the guys at Japanarama can find a way to ship from a EU area (Ireland?) otherwise it's going to make more sense to order from the USA if you are in Europe (kind of paradoxical isn't it?) :)

There's not going to be a "deal" with the UK, why should it be? so be ready to pay *extra*

In case of Germany you should add 19%+4%=23% in addition to current Japanarama's quote.

I really hope that the guys at Japanarama can find a way to ship from a EU area (Ireland?) otherwise it's going to make more sense to order from the USA if you are in Europe (kind of paradoxical isn't it?) :)
*Current Japanarama's quote minus the UK VAT (20%). Tax free price is £1250. Add £200 for shipping and your country's VAT for total price.

Back