What's new
Hello people

My plan is create a new candy design yeah, i know it is not easy. But let me explain something about CRT cabinets
CRT's are really cool, but unfortunately we have really less people in this hobby and some time manifacture costs is not worth it to create big projects.
Thats why my plan is design a candy cabinet with LCD support, and this time plug&play type. We love this hobby and we can search and digging for monitors, even it is very hard for us sometimes. Just imagine a home user. Even CRT need some professionality because of the electric problems.

Another problem is shipping. The whole complete cabinet takes a lot of space for shipping. That means higher shipping costs. Thats why the another idea is making the cabinet like Arcade1up style. Im not talking about wooden USA style cabinet. Im talking about disassembled style. Smaller, lighter, completed, LCD cabinet. Of course with rotate mechanism :D

I can create a fully CRT cabinet for the Arcade-Project community but , i will bring you some guys to Turkey to help me :P
Even the mini cutes fu...ed my back :D i cant imagine 27/29" CRT cabinet 8o

Interesting.

A flat packed LCD based cabinet with an easy to access rotate mech, designed for 32" LCD's, or even if they were cheap enough, 27" LCD's with only single player panels, so you could have 2 units for VS play. This would be a stellar idea, and a likely easy sell.
Speaker boxes of a Noir level for better sound, simple rotate mech, PSU setup for Jamma and JVS....should be an easy sell, and if the design is slick, and there were some color customization options for trim/decals, I'd easily be in for two.

An interesting point of note.....the OK baby cabs were actually shipped as a flat pack, that you had to put together, with the monitor shipped separately, so technically, its entirely possible to flatpack a CRT candy cabinet, with a 27" monitor. However, If that avenue was ever pursued, it would be best to include a curved and a flat tube bezel with each cabinet, or do a screen behind glass, like the Aero or Neo Candy's, so that the two bezels could be lighter plastic.

Options abound, and I'm super excited to see where they go.

Looking forward to the design @hursit!
And for my part I'll focus my wishful thinking on a smaller OLED that could fit...
Maybe even a 4:3 OLED someday -- are you listening arcooda?

this one looks cool, thats the think which im talking about.

Interesting.

A flat packed LCD based cabinet with an easy to access rotate mech, designed for 32" LCD's, or even if they were cheap enough, 27" LCD's with only single player panels, so you could have 2 units for VS play. This would be a stellar idea, and a likely easy sell.
Speaker boxes of a Noir level for better sound, simple rotate mech, PSU setup for Jamma and JVS....should be an easy sell, and if the design is slick, and there were some color customization options for trim/decals, I'd easily be in for two.

An interesting point of note.....the OK baby cabs were actually shipped as a flat pack, that you had to put together, with the monitor shipped separately, so technically, its entirely possible to flatpack a CRT candy cabinet, with a 27" monitor. However, If that avenue was ever pursued, it would be best to include a curved and a flat tube bezel with each cabinet, or do a screen behind glass, like the Aero or Neo Candy's, so that the two bezels could be lighter plastic.

Options abound, and I'm super excited to see where they go.

You are right.
I had restored an OK Baby cabinet and it iis full assembly plastic. I can tell you there are million dollars of the production AR-GE costs. I beleive those injection molds really really expensive.
And they did great job on it. The problem is that cabinet is not strong enough because of the plastic.

So my plan is create a cabinet by metal and absolutely like OK Baby style.
Thank you for your valuable ideas.

this one looks cool, thats the think which im talking about.

You are right.
I had restored an OK Baby cabinet and it iis full assembly plastic. I can tell you there are million dollars of the production AR-GE costs. I beleive those injection molds really really expensive.
And they did great job on it. The problem is that cabinet is not strong enough because of the plastic.

So my plan is create a cabinet by metal and absolutely like OK Baby style.
Thank you for your valuable ideas.
I maybe pretty....but that's not all I am. I try to back it up with some brains..... ;)

Sounds like a fun project hursit. I agree, making a new cab for CRTs just doesn't make sense anymore. Sad but true. We just can't source them, not in enough numbers, and not consistently the same model where you can rely on it for a design. It's hard enough keeping our current cabs alive right now.

And of course the weight problems, shipping, etc.

It's a pity there isn't much in the way of useful 4:3 LCD options though. That Arcooda 20" is too small really. It's meant to be dropped into old Pac-Man cabs.

I honestly don't know how you make a compelling LCD-based candy for 4:3 jamma games. Maybe you don't and give up and just do 16:9. That's the only way to get good-sized low lag monitors honestly.

Hi hursit, many thanks for your work. Just my thoughts. I only participated because it was CRT a cab. No one is doing that today. If I needed a LCD cab I would of purchased a chewlix and called it a day. With CRT you are brining something new and unique to the community. But I hear you on the CRT fading away. Maybe you can collect interest from the community and decide.

Or is it possible to create a cab to support CRT and LCD? That would awesome. :)

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun project hursit. I agree, making a new cab for CRTs just doesn't make sense anymore. Sad but true. We just can't source them, not in enough numbers, and not consistently the same model where you can rely on it for a design. It's hard enough keeping our current cabs alive right now.

And of course the weight problems, shipping, etc.

It's a pity there isn't much in the way of useful 4:3 LCD options though. That Arcooda 20" is too small really. It's meant to be dropped into old Pac-Man cabs.

I honestly don't know how you make a compelling LCD-based candy for 4:3 jamma games. Maybe you don't and give up and just do 16:9. That's the only way to get good-sized low lag monitors honestly.

Hi hursit, many thanks for your work. Just my thoughts. I only participated because it was CRT a cab. No one is doing that today. If I needed a LCD cab I would of purchased a chewlix and called it a day. With CRT you are brining something new and unique to the community. But I hear you on the CRT fading away. Maybe you can collect interest from the community and decide.

Or is it possible to create a cab to support CRT and LCD? That would awesome. :)

Anything is possible if we can find enough interest.
LCD - CRT Cabinet or 2 different model. It is all about money money :P . Sorry but it is sadly true. Manifacturing is really crazy expensive nowadays. I dont want to move China, even it is not cheap anymore. We have to find optimal design to make more people happy.

It is just a project in my mind, i had shared it some members in here. Thanks to @djsheep to share it with the world :P haha im just kidding :D
we will see what future will bring us. There are some unfinished projects on my desk . ;)

@hursit -- maybe you can remake this beauty:

1ad60n.jpg

As much as I would like to see a new CRT cab enter the market. It’s near impossible to find new tubes now and more-so going forward.

I cosign @Aurich’s post and think @hursit should just move with the times and offer a super cool and nice modern solution with parts that are easily accessible. The main feature wanted for me would be a rotatable screen, ample shelving for consoles and perhaps easy plug and play wiring for controller boards.

Heads up for everyone:

ALL PARTS for the ISO harnesses are en route to me.

For about 100 of them. These were hard fought and searched out, and due to supply chain stuff I’m not likely to get much more than what I was able to wrangle after literally scraping the bottom of the internet barrel clean last night.

I will give part numbers and such for those of you that do not want to buy from me and want to make your own, and I don’t wanna sound overly sassy, but don’t say I didn’t warn you about part availability. I have picked up a lot of remaining stock out there to make this happen. :D

Heads up for everyone:

For about 100 of them. These were hard fought and searched out, and due to supply chain stuff I’m not likely to get much more than what I was able to wrangle after literally scraping the bottom of the internet barrel clean last night.

I will give part numbers and such for those of you that do not want to buy from me and want to make your own, and I don’t wanna sound overly sassy, but don’t say I didn’t warn you about part availability. I have picked up a lot of remaining stock out there to make this happen. :D
Thanks for the work! My cab should be here in the next day or two, so excited to start building this thing. I'm in for the ISO harness, let me know when / where to send payment!

Also, I might have missed this or don't remember - is the ISO transformer itself included or do we pick that up separate?

I have plenty of thoughts on making a new cab, but it feels disrespectful to drone on in this thread when people are still getting their Cutes, and there is genuine news about harnesses etc. Better to let this thread stay on topic.

hursit whenever you feel like starting an announcement thread for your project, either to show something, or early because you're looking for feedback, I look forward to it all.

I have plenty of thoughts on making a new cab, but it feels disrespectful to drone on in this thread when people are still getting their Cutes, and there is genuine news about harnesses etc. Better to let this thread stay on topic.

hursit whenever you feel like starting an announcement thread for your project, either to show something, or early because you're looking for feedback, I look forward to it all.
@hursit I agree with Aurich, lets open up a discussion thread for the next candy cab project :thumbsup:

Heads up for everyone:

I would take a harness when you're ready.

Thanks for the work! My cab should be here in the next day or two, so excited to start building this thing. I'm in for the ISO harness, let me know when / where to send payment!

Also, I might have missed this or don't remember - is the ISO transformer itself included or do we pick that up separate?
Buy that separately. I’m using the one twisted quarter sells, and modeling my solution after that. It’s like $20 or so. Definitely well worth it.

https://twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_204&products_id=376

You will need to desolder the wires and clean up the contacts a bit, but beyond that my harness will be a drop in solution.

My Mini Cute arrived a few days ago, everything looks great! Is there any particular technique to prepping the surface and installing the stickers?

My Mini Cute arrived a few days ago, everything looks great! Is there any particular technique to prepping the surface and installing the stickers?
I used rapid prep and rapid tac to aid in my installation. If I had known better, I would have also employed the hinge method. Even though there's no front protective layer, people say you can still do this method.

Back