What's new
For Sale

rewrite

Multi Boyz Litigator
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Considering selling my X68k in order to help fund an XVI, but not really sure what I should ask for it. Dual-tower in tan/gray/whatever-that-other-color-is.

Completely recapped, new battery, ATX mod (original PSU was MIA when I got it). It has 1 broken tab on the plastics (inner, can't be seen outside). Still running on floppy drives, but a super easy swap to either a floppy emulator, or a SCSI2SD.

Also probably worth mentioning I'm only interested in selling the computer, not any accessories.

Last edited:
I would say approximately $500.
That's what I was thinking, but couldn't commit to it. Didn't want to be wrong.

I'm just kicking myself for not buying an XVI when they were going for $300 all the time last year. Figured I could sell my now rebuilt one and fund most of a broken XVI, ha.

Yep, XVI models suddenly shot way up and I don't know why. A junk XVI goes for $500+ from what I've seen.

Yep, XVI models suddenly shot way up and I don't know why. A junk XVI goes for $500+ from what I've seen.
Meanwhile junk stock models have fallen below $100 (last year 150-200). And keyboards hover around 130-150 (last year 60-80).

The 68k market makes no sense to me. But I still need a keyboard, and would like an XVI, so I may need to just bite the bullet and buy things now. That will guarantee that prices go down within a week :).

FWIW, an X68030 is faster than an XVI and less expensive to acquire. I've loved mine so far. They have a reputation for being less compatible than the XVI that I think is somewhat exaggerated. And there are a handful of late-release games that really run best on the 030.

I've been working my way through the games library applying 030 compatibility fixes where I can. I currently have roughly 80% of the library working, and the 20% that doesn't work generally aren't great games anyway. I plan on releasing an image of my SD card for 030 owners after I finish going through them all. Stupid grad school vacuuming up all my free time...

I've seen them around the same price lately, but maybe that's a fluke. I wasn't really looking for the 030, just half-noticed them pass by. There's a working one up now that just passed 100k JPY :S. I'll keep an eye out. Or get an XVI and eventually an 030 compact (it'd be nice to have both in time).

You're doing God's work! Thank you for that!

I would say, get what you want and stay focus.. if an XVI is what you want work on that.. I eventually want one of these machines but I don't know enough about them to know which model would be suitable for me so looking forward to your posts and overview on you choosing.

FWIW, an X68030 is faster than an XVI and less expensive to acquire.
Not anymore! Day and a half to go and a completely untested, two blurry pic'ed 030 with no accessories is over $600 already... Watched two similar XVI with better pics end at $550 the past couple weeks.

It's only because I took an interest in the 030 that they shot up in price, I swear, lol.

FWIW, an X68030 is faster than an XVI and less expensive to acquire. I've loved mine so far. They have a reputation for being less compatible than the XVI that I think is somewhat exaggerated. And there are a handful of late-release games that really run best on the 030.

I've been working my way through the games library applying 030 compatibility fixes where I can. I currently have roughly 80% of the library working, and the 20% that doesn't work generally aren't great games anyway. I plan on releasing an image of my SD card for 030 owners after I finish going through them all. Stupid grad school vacuuming up all my free time...
The 030 image sounds like a cool project. Any idea if those compatibility patches will also fix those few games that don't like running in 16MHz mode on an XVI? A couple I can think of off the top of my head are Bubble Bobble and Valis. Would be nice if I didn't have to switch speeds for those few games on my XVI.

The 030 image sounds like a cool project. Any idea if those compatibility patches will also fix those few games that don't like running in 16MHz mode on an XVI? A couple I can think of off the top of my head are Bubble Bobble and Valis. Would be nice if I didn't have to switch speeds for those few games on my XVI.
As someone who doesn't yet own a multi-speed 68k: Do you need to shut down the computer to swap between speeds? I'd assume yes?

I've seen a few hacked together speed swap modded 68k's somewhat recently hit YAJ. Is there a guide anywhere to doing that mod? I'd like to try my hand at it (but a lot cleaner than the ones I've seen lately).

Yes, the 030 has an app called 030speed.x that lets you specify parameters and adjust the 030's processor speed on-the-fly, in addition to disabling extra caching mechanisms on the 030 for increased backward-compatibility. I've been tuning the speed on each game so it runs as optimally as possible - that tuning is partly why it's taking me so long to work through the library.

Bubble Bobble is working fine, but I haven't gotten around to Valis yet since I'm mostly working through the library in alphabetical order.

You can see my checkoff list here - note that games marked as "Issues" or "Broken" doesn't mean that they'll never work on an 030, just that I haven't gotten them working yet. After releasing the initial game image, I plan on going back to those games and digging deeper into getting them working. Also note that I won't be releasing my 030 game image for a few months yet, because I'm swamped with grad school until summer.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-8bHk430f-EzKQUqvC73Vcxg9yD5T_rGknMgMMewriw/edit?usp=sharing

Games marked with an Asterisk in the Notes means that it's a game I personally found interesting! :D

As someone who doesn't yet own a multi-speed 68k: Do you need to shut down the computer to swap between speeds? I'd assume yes?
I've seen a few hacked together speed swap modded 68k's somewhat recently hit YAJ. Is there a guide anywhere to doing that mod? I'd like to try my hand at it (but a lot cleaner than the ones I've seen lately).
For the XVI, there is a physical switch on top with two positions - one is 10MHz and one is 16MHz, and yes you need to restart the machine for the speed to take effect. I have no idea how to do any of the speed mods that you mentioned or what models they are normally done on, so I would google or go to the nfggames.com forums and do a search there/ask there if you can't find anything.
Yes, the 030 has an app called 030speed.x that lets you specify parameters and adjust the 030's processor speed on-the-fly, in addition to disabling extra caching mechanisms on the 030 for increased backward-compatibility. I've been tuning the speed on each game so it runs as optimally as possible - that tuning is partly why it's taking me so long to work through the library.

Bubble Bobble is working fine, but I haven't gotten around to Valis yet since I'm mostly working through the library in alphabetical order.

You can see my checkoff list here - note that games marked as "Issues" or "Broken" doesn't mean that they'll never work on an 030, just that I haven't gotten them working yet. After releasing the initial game image, I plan on going back to those games and digging deeper into getting them working. Also note that I won't be releasing my 030 game image for a few months yet, because I'm swamped with grad school until summer.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-8bHk430f-EzKQUqvC73Vcxg9yD5T_rGknMgMMewriw/edit?usp=sharing

Games marked with an Asterisk in the Notes means that it's a game I personally found interesting! :D
This sounds specific to the 030 series which I don't have. I thought you were applying some game-specific patches that I thought might be available somewhere that increase compatibility, though maybe I was just misremembering. I was just interested to see if it would benefit XVI owners as well.

Last edited:
Looks like the Google Sheets share link isn’t working as expected. I’ll fix it later and post a new link.

Also, the name of the speed control program is actually 30speed.x not 030speed.x. There isn’t an equivalent for XVI owners as far as I know since the XVI has a physical speed switch.

And yes, there are 030 game-specific patches for a lot of games. I’m using 30speed to address compatibility issues for the games that don’t have a specific patch.

Back