What's new

kj4860

Beginner
Reaction score
Perhaps this is not exactly the right place for this, but here i go:

While i have little personal pull or relations with any individuals who own the actual board/hdd/etc., i've thrown the idea around as of late - with all of these fundraising pages available, would it be possible that we garner enough support to fund an expenditure to decrypt the protection on such a title? Would anybody else be in support of this? Anybody know Andreas Naive or Nicola Salmoria :D ?

As a fan of Primal Rage I'd love to be able to play Primal Rage II

Outside of Galloping Ghost I believe Atari Scott on KLOV has the largest collection of PR2 boards and information, I believe he's also the owner of the only known existing prototype cabinet.

I wouldn't mind throwing a few dollars toward such a project but it's worth noting that The arcade version of Primal Rage 1 hasn't even had the security cracked yet. more info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primal_Rage#ROM_encryption

To be honest I'd love to be able to emulate either game perfectly if possible.

Even with PR1 in its current state, its atleast playable. PR2 literally barely makes it to the player select screen.

If more individuals were interested in such an endeavor, or if we were to get in touch with Scott (whom of which had spoken in the past about decryption on the image), i would be willing to put down a substantial amount of funding towards their efforts for us all to enjoy such a title.

Scott isn't generally emulation-friendly. Don't bother.
Primal Rage 1 is using a lot of custom chips on totally different custom hardware which makes it more difficult to reverse, whereas Primal Rage II runs on a bog standard ZN1 main board which is just a Playstation 1 with more RAM.
Anyway I don't see what the fuss is all about, the game isn't that great. I've got a working original here in a box which hasn't seen daylight for many many years. If someone wants to reverse the hardware, get it decapped etc, I'd be open to sell it at the right price ;)

btw, the problem is protection, not encryption.
if it was encrypted you wouldn't see anything on the screen and the game wouldn't boot up.
there's some CPLD/FPGA on there doing some unknown stuff and there's no way to get to it.

Last edited:
Back