What's new
thats not big - not really.
maybe about the same as my cyberball pcb i think.
small compared to system1 and tiny compared to system2 although i dont own a system2 boardset.

what's under the romboard? sockets for bigger roms?? ;)

thats not big - not really.
maybe about the same as my cyberball pcb i think.
small compared to system1 and tiny compared to system2 although i dont own a system2 boardset.

what's under the romboard? sockets for bigger roms?? ;)

It’s bigger than system 1/2 I believe. It’s also bolted to a thick metal plate for support lol

Yeah, its pretty darn big, I would say bigger than sys 1/2 or just about there. It does have a nice/thick metal plate.

So I fired it up and no go, only the 5v Lo led came on, no video, etc. I checked the 5v at the jamma edge and that bitch dropped all the way to 3.3v so Im thinking the psu doesn't have enough balls for this thing. I will rig up another psu.

Im gonna open up a new thread to help troubleshoot this thing once I get the parts I need for harness, etc.. I don't want to keep derailing smokemonsters.

i dont think you have seen system2!!!
incase your wondering, it mounts on the back door!!
atari-system2.jpg

holy fucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they couldnt stack them lol, Im mean they did, but one on top of the other and not this way :D

system1 used for stuff like marble madness is similar design but smaller - relativly!
i dont know why atari likes huge boards, but there is a pattern to this - have you owned or seen gauntlet? :D

oh yea, i-robot was stacked, similar size to starwars.
the problem with stacking such boards is they overheat - i-robot has a 120mm fan blowing up through it.
it *will* fuck up the gfx chip real fast without the fan!!

oh yea, i-robot was stacked, similar size to starwars.
the problem with stacking such boards is they overheat - i-robot has a 120mm fan blowing up through it.
it *will* fuck up the gfx chip real fast without the fan!!
Crazy stuff :)

I really appreciate this thread. The pics helped me get my sound working again.

I picked up a complete working PR at an auction for $350 about 11 years ago. This is my son playing it the day it came home.

1A3E5C74-5685-4795-943B-6FE9C6F9805C.jpeg

Unfortunately, the cab was severely damaged (you can’t see it here) and I decided it was beyond my skill level to repair it. So I pulled the board, harnesses and CP from the game and reluctantly scrapped the cab. But at the same auction, I picked up a Dynamo HS-5 cabinet that had come unglued, and was falling apart. I kept all the parts to that, and to make a very long story short, I finished the woodworking this week and installed the Primal Rage boardset in it. Tonight my son came over and we played it for about an hour. Here he is now

E0A47D88-DCE9-4CB5-B13F-6F7B2C64E448.jpeg

Yeah, it’s a compromise putting these boards in a cab with a 6-button fighter control panel. It will be on a switcher with an ARpiCADE (I’m switching between them manually now). But I did replicate the 4-button layout, so it’s faithful to the original feel. I was gonna make ARpiCADE ride bitch on the button assignments, since it’s configurable, but I see now that there’s a JAMMA adapter available so I’ll probably do that instead. Anyway, it made me really happy to see and hear Primal Rage again. It was well worth hanging to for over a decade. Really fun game.

6B52A109-A106-4109-BC60-CEF94667D36E.jpeg

Thanks for the add, and thanks again for this forum and this thread.

P.S.: big rookie mistake putting my Bose Soundlink so close to the monitor. I had to break out my big degaussing ring to fix that.

Sorry for the Necrobump here, but I have a question on adding a couple of RCA cables to the sound board. I followed the CAGE sheet instructions on page 2 here, which says if you are gonna go straight from the sound board instead of the JAMMA edge, and you are foregoing the subwoofer, that you should connect lines to pins 6 and 11, as well as 9 and 10 so it will supplement the standard stereo with a bit more oomf from the bass signal. I opted to not use a sub because the cab I'm putting the board into is an old gutted Arcade1Up (just a fun mod I wanted to do) and there's not really a huge amount of space in there what with the PR board (even without its rage cage), the PSU, wiring, etc etc. So I opted for just stereo speakers.

I wired some RCA jacks to the required solder points (underneath the pins on the sound board and ran them into a small Kinter powered amp. I noticed the sound was lopsided, good sound from one speaker, and veeeerrry faint sound from the other. So when I went to disconnect to troubleshoot, I noticed the RCA cables were pretty damn hot. Not burn-your-hand hot, but pretty damn warm. Also the heat sink on the sound board was quite warm as well.

So I disconnected my soldered wires (they were solid connections from what I could ascertain) and just went monaural for now until I can figure this out. With mono sound the heatsink is cool as a cucumber. Did this happen to anyone else?

Sorry for the Necrobump here, but I have a question on adding a couple of RCA cables to the sound board. I followed the CAGE sheet instructions on page 2 here, which says if you are gonna go straight from the sound board instead of the JAMMA edge, and you are foregoing the subwoofer, that you should connect lines to pins 6 and 11, as well as 9 and 10 so it will supplement the standard stereo with a bit more oomf from the bass signal. I opted to not use a sub because the cab I'm putting the board into is an old gutted Arcade1Up (just a fun mod I wanted to do) and there's not really a huge amount of space in there what with the PR board (even without its rage cage), the PSU, wiring, etc etc. So I opted for just stereo speakers.

I wired some RCA jacks to the required solder points (underneath the pins on the sound board and ran them into a small Kinter powered amp. I noticed the sound was lopsided, good sound from one speaker, and veeeerrry faint sound from the other. So when I went to disconnect to troubleshoot, I noticed the RCA cables were pretty damn hot. Not burn-your-hand hot, but pretty damn warm. Also the heat sink on the sound board was quite warm as well.

So I disconnected my soldered wires (they were solid connections from what I could ascertain) and just went monaural for now until I can figure this out. With mono sound the heatsink is cool as a cucumber. Did this happen to anyone else?
1705005027298.png

Putting this here just in case.

1705005027298.png

Putting this here just in case.
I guess I never came back here to update 😂 sorry about that. I ended up making a connector to go into the proper pins instead of soldering, and I was in fact able to get stereo sound and a sub going. That image will definitely help future owners tho!!

Back