What's new

frosty

Student
Reaction score
Got this sorry looking Super Neo 29 control panel frame - looks like they’ve sawn through the back of the frame to open the locks 😩

Getting a replacement is proving difficult, so going to attempt some sort of repair

Was thinking I could bridge the underside of the saw hole with some ABS plastic and then attempt to build on top with plastic filler, then sand until it’s level with the rest and paint.

If it was flat on top, it would be fine, but have to try and replicate the ‘lip’ that holds the instruction strip in place

Any ideas as to how I could get this looking more presentable?

Attachments

• 635F19C9-E938-4DC4-AD19-3CA1E9195742.jpeg
    635F19C9-E938-4DC4-AD19-3CA1E9195742.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 9765A15D-4FCE-437F-BDC3-4AC79D672E16.jpeg
    9765A15D-4FCE-437F-BDC3-4AC79D672E16.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 68
A few years ago I would of bodged that up using fibreglass and lots of sanding/shaping to replicate that profile. Now though i'd replicate that profile in CAD and 3D print an 'insert' piece to attach in that gap, whether you glue it in, fibreglass, screw etc will just have to figure out what's best for you.

Wouldn’t know where to begin in AutoCAD unfortunately - does anyone on the board offer this type of work as a service?

Got any mates into 3D printing? i'd just cut a small section of that profile off and use that as your template. Be pretty straight forward to draw that in a sketch then just extrude it into a single long piece. Be a little trial and error though, I realise its easy for me to say as i'd just do this at home, not so easy when you need to get someone else to do it.

Unfortunately not - may be something that a 3D scanning/printing company could do remotely though, if I sent them the CP frame itself. Cheers for the info!

Sending the entire CP would be costly and expensive, honestly i'd just trim a small piece off and use that as your template. Then get an entire length printed and affix that. You could put a flange on the bottom and screw/bolt it or just glue, not sure what loads that is subjected to.

9765A15D-4FCE-437F-BDC3-4AC79D672E16.jpg

Think some sort of adhesive would be fine as the CP itself would probably give it additional stability, but probably better to have something underneath in addition, to be safe.

Cheers for your help - I've sent some images off to a couple of places and will see what they come with quote-wise

Back