What's new
LMAOOOOO

The Thumbs down was from me 8o I visualized it from my cell phone and I clidked on the wrong thumb :)

It's corrected now :P

I LOVE the song from Purple Motion :love:

It take me literally back to 1994'where I was imlementing with my friend a multi tasking kernel for the computer architecture class at the uni, while we had this demo on the background... :)

'Pay attention to Arcade-Projects.com' as if any of us would go anywhere else. ;)

Good to see the MVS cart nearing completion. I'm here for an AES one but any info re the project is welcome news and from what i can glean they'll (for all intents and purposes) operate the same (?)

Ok kids are sleeping, I had time to watch the video in deep.

things I love:

1- The option to boot directly to the game, thanks for implementing it!!!

2- The fair comparison of booting the biggest game in RAM vs booting the game in the NeoSD that was already loaded in flash!! the load speed in RAM is totally impressive

3- LOL @ 14:20 xDD (but I guess the grumpy hooligans are not going to find it funny) :)

Great new video and awesome project! I also like the new music ;)
But can I be a little critical? The direct boot of NeoSD (without looking into technical details flash/ram) is still pretty cool...
I'm curious what the price of the cart will be (+ shipping)

Nice work guys! :thumbsup:

A minor suggestion: I think it would be better to rename the Boot mode option "Games" to "Slot 1" :saint:

Will the sound glitches (pops/clicks etc.) be ironed out at release?

Looking good guys, looking forward to replacing my 161-1 :)

Will the sound glitches (pops/clicks etc.) be ironed out at release?
+1

And the same question for the graphics/pixel garbage, appearing sometimes...
(besides the typical neo geo initial green screen, of course)
Maybe you could manage to make the whole DS multi experience a bit smoother..!?
(E.g. if you make a cold start and automatically start Game1, you see the steps
"laoding everything to ram" - "starting game in slot1" - would be nice to just see
"Please wait" - "green screen" (game1 starting))

Plus, I think it wouldn*t be a shame to visualize the waiting screens
with a simple progress bar, filling (and inverting) the "Please wait" sign ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! Love that we're close to orders/production.

I'm not sure if this has been addressed or considered already, but how about an option to just boot direct to the games list to then select a game and go?
Ideally, this would bypass anything designated to slots, so save the boot time by not loading anything into RAM. The games would be loaded and launched
only on selection and dumped upon a hard reset.

Thoughts?

Hi folks,

Look i'm delighted to see progress here but I have a few concerns. I love the faster load times and the proposed functionality but I'm a software guy, and personally I am very unimpressed by the GUI/menu and its intuitiveness. It just seems really clunky and has unnecessary steps/options in place. We are gaining a lot of time here when flashing a larger game compared to the opposition, but we are losing so much time in unnecessary steps, it detracts from the faster load times. Just to clarify, this is software based, not hardware!

I appreciate being able to delete 2 games from the menu/stored games to boot straight to single game, but I can't help but feel that this was an afterthought. If this can be done from the menu with a firmware update then great, issue solved. I have no doubts that this will happen but my concern here is that the basic "solid" design here by DS ,is being diluted by poor software design. I have waited for this cart now for ages, but I cannot be excited by this interface and I feel it really detracts from what is a great hardware design.
Let's not confuse my critique here as anything other than constructive feedback. I have not purchased the other option available. I just want this to be better than it currently is. Where we are majorly falling down here, is with the software, It's a mess unfortunately.

Hi folks,

Look i'm delighted to see progress here but I have a few concerns. I love the faster load times and the proposed functionality but I'm a software guy, and personally I am very unimpressed by the GUI/menu and its intuitiveness. It just seems really clunky and has unnecessary steps/options in place. We are gaining a lot of time here when flashing a larger game compared to the opposition, but we are losing so much time in unnecessary steps, it detracts from the faster load times. Just to clarify, this is software based, not hardware!

I appreciate being able to delete 2 games from the menu/stored games to boot straight to single game, but I can't help but feel that this was an afterthought. If this can be done from the menu with a firmware update then great, issue solved. I have no doubts that this will happen but my concern here is that the basic "solid" design here by DS ,is being diluted by poor software design. I have waited for this cart now for ages, but I cannot be excited by this interface and I feel it really detracts from what is a great hardware design.
Let's not confuse my critique here as anything other than constructive feedback. I have not purchased the other option available. I just want this to be better than it currently is. Where we are majorly falling down here, is with the software, It's a mess unfortunately.
Pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere that after its stopped being sold the software was (generously i thought) going to be made open to all so perhaps you can tweak it then? I've no doubt others will further the great work done by Darksoft and co and provide numerous alt GUIs and menus for those types that aren't happy with it.

It's good to have different views, some want to have nice menus with graphics and transitions and I would be just happy by having 4 directories in the SD (slot1,2,3,4) and just copy offline the desired game in each slot.

In real usage I'm never going to use the selection menu in this multi (I just want to play, and I know exactly what I want to play)

Between these two options we should have a compromise that fulfills most of the wishes but never 100% of each personal wish.

I think that the functionality is really good as it's, and that it can make everybody happy from the menuless guys like me to the barrockmenu guys.

At this point the menu isn't going to change a whole lot. We have done our best to accommodate what people have asked for and like they say, you can't make everyone happy. The menu experience is customizable to suit your wants. You can have it go directly to the games list after hitting start on the loaded games list or have it go into the menu choices. You can boot directly to slot 1 without any button presses. You can now boot to slot 2 or 3 with a single button press. You can choose to have menu music or not, or change the song that plays as I did for this last video. You can turn off or on animations in the game select screen. With a few settings changes the game list navigates no different than NeoSD. One thing that won't change is the few seconds the cart needs to boot and test/set itself up due to the nature of the design (use of ram). Even with the three largest games it won't take more than 40 seconds to boot. And that is completely your CHOICE as well. You don't HAVE to use all three slots. You can choose to use one and have it boot quicker. I purposely included the NeoSD boot times after the games are loaded so people couldn't bitch about it.

Now, most of the issues you are noticing on the games is mechanical in nature. These protos are not the best. We very early on found that the interconnects needed to be changed. Our protos do not have any mechanical upgrades. This causes the lines you see sometimes. Seating the cart differently changes that. We've even had one tester experience major issues that the other testers could not reproduce on their cart with the same pcb type in certain games. We know this is a problem with the design of the proto. We are ordering a small batch of final run design to verify everything similar to how we did with F3. After everything is verified we will go into full production.

Most if not all of the sound issues in the video can be attributed to my pcb. It has some sound issues as can be heard when I boot the pcb in the vid. It happens with regular Neo carts too.

The ability to boot directly to a slot was kind of "an afterthought" I guess. It was not intended when we began designing. It is a feature added because it was requested. Yes, we have the intention of allowing you to delete slots from the menu instead of doing it on the computer. That will be in a future update but for now the most important thing is to have a product that can go into production and function as originally intended. We are pretty much there. Due to the sheer amount of pcb revisions the Neo had there will certainly need to be fixes in future FW updates just like with the NeoSD. It will all be sorted in the end.

We will make this the best product we can.

Back