What's new
Some games can boot with any or no JVS and the drives aren’t copy protected, problem is the way they work
I got curious and gave it another shot using another JVS interface and the ODE I mentioned. Tried two HDD images, Battle Gear 3 and Gundam vs Gundam NEXT (which is an 80GB image). I *can* get Battle Gear to start and show "Boot 01" (sometimes "Boot 02" and "Boot 03"), which I believe is just it trying to read something. Looking at the trace feature, I can see it requesting and receiving up to cylinder 8192. Nothing else is reported by the System 256, it just stops.

With GvsG Next, I could get it to boot to an error about configuration and network, was able to interact with it, but now all I get is "Handle Error", which I believe is due to it requiring specific hardware controls. So, this ODE *does work*, but something else is still missing.

I got curious and gave it another shot using another JVS interface and the ODE I mentioned. Tried two HDD images, Battle Gear 3 and Gundam vs Gundam NEXT (which is an 80GB image). I *can* get Battle Gear to start and show "Boot 01" (sometimes "Boot 02" and "Boot 03"), which I believe is just it trying to read something. Looking at the trace feature, I can see it requesting and receiving up to cylinder 8192. Nothing else is reported by the System 256, it just stops.

With GvsG Next, I could get it to boot to an error about configuration and network, was able to interact with it, but now all I get is "Handle Error", which I believe is due to it requiring specific hardware controls. So, this ODE *does work*, but something else is still missing.
Battle Gear 3 needs a specific Taito I/O unless the game itself gets patched to remove the checks

Back