What's new

namastepat

Student
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a totally gutted Sega Aero City cab for $50 AUD. I grabbed it off Gumtree, which is like the Aussie equivalent of Craigslist. When I got it home, it looked like this.

IMG_20210513_153645.jpg

Hideous decals on the side, a terrible rattle can paint job with runs everywhere and not a single original part inside. In fact, not a single bit of wiring inside the entire thing. Literally just a shell.

First step was stripping the decals. I used a heatgun and did a lot of peeling. It was painful and time consuming.
IMG_20210515_093418.jpg

Second step, strip the glue residue, and sand that baby back to some sexy-ass bare metal.
IMG_20210522_114917.jpg

Third step, smooth sand, prime and paint. The painting was done by my dad who is pretty handy with a spray gun. Thank god for parents with a good workshop and a set of tools. It's not perfect, but it's good enough.

IMG_20211010_110858.jpg

Now it was time to get it home and put it back together. So here it is back in my games room after the painting.

IMG_20211016_165307.jpg

As you can see, I had already dropped a 26 inch Nanao MS-8 in there, always good to have some spare monitors stashed away for projects.

Now I was left with the problem of the bezel. Finding an original Sega Aero bezel was obviously going to be nigh on impossible. Instead, I tracked down a bezel for a 26 inch monitor that I could trim to fit the cabinet. It ended up looking like this. This is just a test fit and it still needs a coat of paint.

IMG_20211024_171639.jpg

It's far from perfect and has big side gaps down the sides of the tube, but it's the best I am going to get unless someone can magically find me a Sega Aero bezel.

Obviously, I still have heaps of little things to do to the external cabinet. Polish and reattach the chrome strips on the base, get some speakers fitted (no original speaker mounts present) and also apply decals. I have a full set of decals on the way from GateNinety and a repro control panel on the way from eBay.

Then I just need to totally wire up the inside. Small job right? 🤣 Rather then play the expensive roulette of buying original parts from YAJ I decided to instead keep it simple and use a Gottlieb power distro box that I gutted from an old driving cabinet. It's a beautifully made bit of kit and has everything I need to feed 240V to the wall and 110V to the monitor. Even has a JAMMA harness I can use with a fingerboard plugged in.

IMG_20211012_193733.jpg

Anyway, If you made it this far. Thanks for reading. The restore may not be up to standard for some of the other candy nuts out there, but it's gonna be good enough for my garage 😁

Fantastic paint job! Looking forward to more updates

Got the control panel repro today, very happy with it. I also got super lucky and managed to find a bezel that fits the cab almost perfectly. That was an awesome stroke of luck. It's got a small cut out of the base, but I will cover that with black cardboard.

IMG_20211026_185100.jpg

A question for anyone who may know. I am going to need to replace the rubber strip on the base of the cabinet. The one that I had was painted over and damaged when I got the cab, so I just binned it. Does anyone know a suitable type of rubber strip to use as a replacement? It doesn't need to be original, just something that's close enough.

Got the control panel repro today, very happy with it. I also got super lucky and managed to find a bezel that fits the cab almost perfectly. That was an awesome stroke of luck. It's got a small cut out of the base, but I will cover that with black cardboard.

IMG_20211026_185100.jpg

A question for anyone who may know. I am going to need to replace the rubber strip on the base of the cabinet. The one that I had was painted over and damaged when I got the cab, so I just binned it. Does anyone know a suitable type of rubber strip to use as a replacement? It doesn't need to be original, just something that's close enough.
Talk to @hoagtech , I think he had a huge repro roll made up and has some for sale. You can also find other bits and bobs from him.

You can check out other aero restores on this forum, including mine, for more stuff you can throw at it. I too came from zero and now have a complete aero.

Awesome job on the paint job! I paid to have mine sand blasted and powdercoated. But yours looks marvelous.

$50 ? Jesus, what a stroke of luck. I would take a gutted cab for 50.

Thanks, I will contact @hoagtech and ask him about the rubber strip.

My decals will arrive in the post soon and I am utterly terrified about applying them. I have never applied decals on anything before and I know it can be a pain in the ass.

Yeah, the cab was a total bargain and I was super lucky to get it.

Great collection!

Obviously you don't have to listen to my advice, but if that was my setup here's what I would change to balance it for my personal tastes:

I'd take the right Astro and put it back yoko, and tate the Aero City instead. imo it's the best vertical cab out there, as far as angle and screen size. Then I'd move it next to the Cyberlead and have the two vertical cabs side by side, where the quirks of those two cabs wouldn't feel out of place, and leave the Atomiswave and Astros in a nice lined up row.

But really, who cares, they're a great little display of variety as is. Just my musing looking at your photo. I have 8 cabs myself and have been thinking of rearranging them lately, have these kind of grouping on the brain. :D

Yeah, the lineup is not in its final form yet. I do plan to tate the Aero and it doesn't suit where I currently have it. When I finish it off, I will finalise the lineup. Still got heaps to do before the Aero is properly finished.

Love the Caroma stool and candy set up!
To be honest, if I had the cash, I would buy a whole bunch of Taito stools. But they are just too expensive :( Especially when I would need 15 of the bastards.

Hi everyone, are there any Aero City owners out there who have a measurement file for getting the glass cut? Mine came with no glass and while I can measure it up myself (and will do that if needed) I am wondering if anyone has a cutting file for the glass that I can give to a glass cutter. Thanks!

Hi everyone, are there any Aero City owners out there who have a measurement file for getting the glass cut? Mine came with no glass and while I can measure it up myself (and will do that if needed) I am wondering if anyone has a cutting file for the glass that I can give to a glass cutter. Thanks!
@RandomRetro just had one cut. Calling AERO BOYZ!!!!

My glass is at the shop getting repro-ed, but let me see if I can get a file from them...

Nope they didn't send it over year :(, but I will give them a call Monday and hopefully get it then.

Back