What's new

bbickell

Student
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I recently started trying to restore the ability to coin up on credit to my Astro City. I received it with no coin acceptor, and with a pair of wires dangling where the acceptor used to be. I've run the cabinet with a pushbutton wired to those wires to coin up and that works fine.

However, I recently bought a coin acceptor which fits correctly, and takes quarters without and problem but I sort of thought it would have some kind of electronic switch that would active when a coin drops to credit up. It does not have this.

I haven't been able to find a name for, or description of the switch that I'm missing that is responsible for registering a credit on a coin drop. Can someone help me out here?

Thanks!

You need one of these:
0076C5FD-C9A3-4387-B6E1-DAD05A2F1F90.jpeg

Just look up coin switch arcade on eBay or AliExpress.

Thanks - that’s sort of what I’d come up with in my searching also today. Is there any particular kind that should fit my Astro City coin door? Or, is there a standard?

Here's the one I removed from my Astro City coin door:

astro_city_coin_switch.jpg

The one in @djsheep's post would work too. I don't think there's anything special about them.

These are usually manufactured by the japanese Omron company. I don't remember well where I bought mine but maybe Orihara sells them. I'll take a look and let you know.

Yeah but these are chinese... You better have to buy some Omron.

Honestly not a big deal. It's just a switch that triggers when a coin passes the wire. It's not like an Omron switch is going to give you amazing performance.

We play arcade because it's lubic and nostalgic, it's a kind of love affaire. All this is linked to our youth, it's sentimental. Even if LCD and consoles are more performants than CRTs or old PCBs we choose to play arcades. So I choosed to take this in consideration. For me the beauty is in the detail, each parts is a pleasure to handle. I want my japanese cab a 100% nippon product. I like to buy japanese stuffs and I want they continues to manufacture items, so even a single screw worth it if it can feed that industry, it's a matter of fidelity. I can wait, one year if needed, to have my stuffs, but I want the right stuff. That's my philosophy. Anyway, that's not the point of the topic but so many do not take these things in consideration.

My coin switch doesn't seem to be triggering the credit, any advice on what could be wrong? The cables seem to be connected.

If the wires are connected to the switch correctly then it could very well be a broken switch… have you traced the wires back to the JAMMA connector to make sure they’re connected?

If the wires are connected to the switch correctly then it could very well be a broken switch… have you traced the wires back to the JAMMA connector to make sure they’re connected?
I'll try to do that next. I'll do that tomorrow and see what I find.

I did a trace on the connector to the coin door and it seems like the ground wire is not having connectivity. I examined it real fast by eye and I don't see any breakages in the wire. But the multimeter tells me it's not connected for some reason. At least I know what the issue is now.

That’s easy then, you can grab ground from many points in the cab and just daisy chain the wire on. Good work.

I fixed it! I tracked it down to the coin counter. The ground wire going into the coin counter wasn't passing it through to the ground wire going back out to jamma. I couldn't figure out how to open up the coin counter to get inside of it to see if I can fix it. There are no screws or anything to open it. I didn't want to damage anything so I just made my own hack of shorting the ground wires together with a paper clip. It worked like a charm.

Back