What's new
Getting close to end game now :)

Got her about 97% together. Still a few wiring/button things to and need some custom kick harnesses wired, cleaned up and put into sleeves which i plan to do over the next week. But here she is! 101,224 plays on the counter and going strong :)
Pandora is just in for testing till my final setup is in.

lhLxE0h.jpg

aaJhXD0.jpg

Kkak868.jpg

movgvEQ.jpg

ntQZFCD.jpg

QUrOrD9.jpg

very nice progress. I’m more into the stock button colours, not so much the lighting enthusiast, but your cab is looking really nice.

Pardon my thread skimming, but I didn’t notice you mentioning properly grounding the cab in your resto.
As a US resident I highly recommend you crimp a 3-prong power cord to the power entry, and make sure the green wire —earth ground— is attached to the distribution section on the inside of the back panel. From your picture I can barely make out that the Green power wire is only looped for local ground.
you should definitely wire it for Earth Ground, especially as a VA resident.

very nice progress. I’m more into the stock button colours, not so much the lighting enthusiast, but your cab is looking really nice.

Pardon my thread skimming, but I didn’t notice you mentioning properly grounding the cab in your resto.
As a US resident I highly recommend you crimp a 3-prong power cord to the power entry, and make sure the green wire —earth ground— is attached to the distribution section on the inside of the back panel. From your picture I can barely make out that the Green power wire is only looped for local ground.
Thanks for the heads up - I tend to err on the side of stock, but go a bit outside of it where it suits me. I do have the solid balltops and the buttons are the correct sanwa types/colors, but i switched the snap in holders for clear so I could light them in a subtle way and add 6 on each side - not a big fan of the entire button lit up.

I do have 3 prong connector power attached but let me get a better picture down there so you can tell me if i have it right - these are all new to me so I may have missed something.

Hows this look

321ciwa.jpg

Still working on sound, but I have everything routed from the top speakers and or jamma, out to this 2.1 amp which sends it back into the cab and sounds awesome with the bass, I can control the sound per game without having to open the cab up. Still a bit of wire management and clean up needed here.
BeZ9Gpq.jpg

Very nice work. You obviously have some other relevant “skills” if this is your first cab restore as you seem to know what to do. The buttons look good to me - I’m doing the same with my Lindbergh cab but with a custom panel layout. Can you tell me a bit more about the serial number sticker reproduction process?

Great thread. Just got an Astro and I'll be "attempting" to restore it. These pictures of a minty Candy Cab are really nice motivation/encouragement.

Very nice work. You obviously have some other relevant “skills” if this is your first cab restore as you seem to know what to do. The buttons look good to me - I’m doing the same with my Lindbergh cab but with a custom panel layout. Can you tell me a bit more about the serial number sticker reproduction process?
Dang sorry man, somehow I totally missed t his reply. Thank you, yeah I have built studio scale models and restored cars in the past, so that experience helped for sure. For the stickers I worked with a guy over in spain, search up "zona arcade" however - he is expensive and I have found another source on facebook that looks promising however i have not ordered from him yet. I if you want his info drop me a PM.

Great thread. Just got an Astro and I'll be "attempting" to restore it. These pictures of a minty Candy Cab are really nice motivation/encouragement.
Thanks dude! You can do it. My advice is just don't rush it, break it up into stages and know its gonna take you a few months to get done assuming your going for minty fresh unless you have full time to dedicate to it. Drop me a message anytime, would be happy to share my advice or experience if needed.

Amazing work. Going through a similar process right now. I can understand you when you say that the sanding almost killed you! I’m taking it back to the bare ABS. Can you explain a bit more how you restored the marquee please? Did you cut out and affix strips of coloured plastic or something?

Wow, this is amazingly impressive!

Q: The speakers you installed, I take it that they won't fit at all unless the cab's original florescent figure is removed/replaced, right? (Been pondering replacing my cabs speakers, but wanted to keep the bulb/starter set-up.)

Q: The speakers you installed, I take it that they won't fit at all unless the cab's original florescent figure is removed/replaced, right? (Been pondering replacing my cabs speakers, but wanted to keep the bulb/starter set-up.)
I didnt even try to fit the original, but yeah most likely right, the new speakers are beefy and barely fit as is.

I didnt even try to fit the original, but yeah most likely right, the new speakers are beefy and barely fit as is.
What are the replacement speakers you went with, if you don't mind me asking?

I've got an Astro City en route right now so I'm doing as much homework as I can!

Happy to help! the ones you want are - logitech z-5500 - plenty on ebay. Decase them and they are a direct drop in

Happy to help! the ones you want are - logitech z-5500 - plenty on ebay. Decase them and they are a direct drop in
This is a weird question, but do you happen to know if the z-5300s would work de-cased? I actually happen to have a set of these floating around.

Since everyone on this forum has been so helpful on my own Astro City restore journey I thought I'd add one piece of information I discovered.

The Logitech Z-5300 while looking quite similar is NOT a drop in replacement. You'd have to drill the mounting holes somewhat to make it fit. Not impossible of course but it isn't direct and will require some power tools.

Z-5500 satellite pairs are easy to find on ebay.

Back