What's new
I bought a cheap-o pair of Logitech Z5500 from eBay, ripped out the speakers, and put those in my Astro. They fit perfect, and IIRC, are shielded (I didn't have any magnetic interference issues).

Are you looking for NAC speakers? Astros are oval in shape.

I bought a cheap-o pair of Logitech Z5500 from eBay, ripped out the speakers, and put those in my Astro. They fit perfect, and IIRC, are shielded (I didn't have any magnetic interference issues).

Are you looking for NAC speakers? Astros are oval in shape.
cool thanks ! I will check out those logi's. yep theyre for a astro

I also have a pair of original astro speakers you can have if yours are blown. since I replaced mine with the Logitechs -- which supposedly have better sound -- I still have the originals (not torn or damaged). the sound with the Logitech is not noticeably better IMHO.

Logitech z5500 is what I'm using and they absolutely are better than the trash stock Sega speakers in the Astro City. I also paired mine with a 2.1 subwoofer system and that makes all the difference really. Might want to consider this in your setup as well or at least an amp for your stereo capable games. You're probably not gonna notice a huge jump in quality in the stock non-amplified jamma setup.

I also have a pair of original astro speakers you can have if yours are blown. since I replaced mine with the Logitechs -- which supposedly have better sound -- I still have the originals (not torn or damaged). the sound with the Logitech is not noticeably better IMHO.
I still have my stocks, just wanted an upgraded and see if the shielded ones make a difference with the interference with the crt. ty though

Logitech z5500 is what I'm using and they absolutely are better than the trash stock Sega speakers in the Astro City. I also paired mine with a 2.1 subwoofer system and that makes all the difference really. Might want to consider this in your setup as well or at least an amp for your stereo capable games. You're probably not gonna notice a huge jump in quality in the stock non-amplified jamma setup.
perfect I will check that out thank you as well

I have a regular Astro City being restored currently and interested in the exact speaker/amp/subwoofer set up you have. It seems when I Google that setup it comes back as 5.1 not 2.1 so I want to make sure I am looking for the correct thing. Also, I am putting a PC in the cab, not sure if that makes any difference at all though.

@JordanStrasberg I bought a set of 4 z5500 speakers to cover 2 cabs. I believe it was sold originally as a 5.1 system but all four speakers are equal from what I can tell. 2 went into each cabinet.

@JordanStrasberg I bought a set of 4 z5500 speakers to cover 2 cabs. I believe it was sold originally as a 5.1 system but all four speakers are equal from what I can tell. 2 went into each cabinet.
Got it. Did you use and the amp and subwoofer that came with the set? If so, does the subwoofer fit in the cab?

@JordanStrasberg Not at all, actually. Went a completely different direction with the sub setup, as I randomly found one of these cheap at a thrift shop, then eBay-ed another similar model for the second cab. Having the headphone bypass was too convenient and these didn't fit well with everything else I have inside each cab so instead are positioned outside the cab.

I'm happy with the audio results overall and it's also nice to have some bass in there. Definitely an upgrade from the "standard" cheap amps I typically see mounted as part of the stereo mod for these cabs.

20220303_064621.jpg

20220302_133136.jpg

If anyone still looking for replacement speakers for your Astro City - these fit straight in and cause no interference with the monitor. Easy install. Plus they sound decent as well:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.11.6b171802UKljaq

You'll still need an external sub, to really get the mids and low end of course.

Note: not suitable for a NEW Astro City, these speakers won't fit inside the NAC's speaker boxes (I tried)

Back