What's new
Mark your items as sold
The Dislike shouldn't be personal and yet ... it is. If it was just a way to signal "hey, there might be something wrong the with the factual information in this post" or something it could be okay, but nobody actually reads it that way.

***For the Price Police***
You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to bait the price police to argue so they keep bumping your sale thread. :D

My apologies to the OP for derailing your thread, but I've seen this same misinformation perpetuated over and over, so I wanted to present information that isn't from a 12 year old thread with loads of conjecture. And yeah, I disliked opt2not's posts after the fact, I've gone ahead and removed it.

I've worked on a number of 2930/2931 chassis over the last 10 years, and while the potting compound was present on many of them, the faults were not always with components that had the compound on them. It's long been known that it's not conductive, and it doesn't come from the flyback, so saying that it causes the flyback to fail is pretty wild.

Now, isn't it just as likely that these chassis experience high failure rates because of their design and delicate components? And the potting compound leaks due to the high amount of hours/high heat/bad batch of epoxy? So, invariably, you're going to see the potting mixture leak at some point or another given the general age and environment.

Recall these are the same chassis that folks have had kill tubes, so they definitely seem to have a design issue. I've personally not had it happen, but I believe it to be true. I've also personally ran these chassis without cleaning up the epoxy and had no issues.

At any rate, correlation does not imply causation.

The Dislike shouldn't be personal and yet ... it is. If it was just a way to signal "hey, there might be something wrong the with the factual information in this post" or something it could be okay, but nobody actually reads it that way.
Agree!

My apologies to the OP for derailing your thread, but I've seen this same misinformation perpetuated over and over, so I wanted to present information that isn't from a 12 year old thread with loads of conjecture. And yeah, I disliked opt2not's posts after the fact, I've gone ahead and removed it.

I've worked on a number of 2930/2931 chassis over the last 10 years, and while the potting compound was present on many of them, the faults were not always with components that had the compound on them. It's long been known that it's not conductive, and it doesn't come from the flyback, so saying that it causes the flyback to fail is pretty wild.

Now, isn't it just as likely that these chassis experience high failure rates because of their design and delicate components? And the potting compound leaks due to the high amount of hours/high heat/bad batch of epoxy? So, invariably, you're going to see the potting mixture leak at some point or another given the general age and environment.

Recall these are the same chassis that folks have had kill tubes, so they definitely seem to have a design issue. I've personally not had it happen, but I believe it to be true. I've also personally ran these chassis without cleaning up the epoxy and had no issues.

At any rate, correlation does not imply causation.
:) For those that want to know what some of the features potting compounds provide in electronics.
1635878671391.png

I had over a dozen 2390s at one point. Pretty sure all of them had the black goop, in various degrees. You could tell from the way it had leaked on to the board if the monitor had been oriented horizontally or vertically for most of its life. The goop is absolutely non conductive and non corrosive.

It does make maintenance on the chassis super annoying though. It is sticky AF. It will glue the flyback to the PCB, the PCB to the plastic holder, and the holder to the metal tray. On vertical setups it can even trickle down to the 15-pin AMP UP connector and seal that thing. It's fun trying to pull the connectors apart when they're epoxied shut.

So I have been mulling on the shipping idea and I think I found a solution that would work wheather you want to buy my cab and get it shipped (or you just have some other stuff you need moved)

My friend James Price's son, Noah, has started an Arcade / pinball moving service that literally goes all over the country. I trust them and I know they will take good care of everything. I have known Noah's dad for a good while and James has quite the collection of classic woody arcade cabinets, so they are not new to all of this. They are based in Daytona, Florida.

You can get a hold of Noah on Facebook (Noah Price) or you can call him at (386)-341-3303 to discuss costs and logistics.

5fHuOORl.jpg

ICBgaXvl.jpg

Last edited:
Back