What's new

saucydaddy

Student
Reaction score
Hey guys, finally got around to toying around with this new cabinet I got. I've been trying to get the kick harness (CPS2 style) connected to this Sega I/O board. Since I didn't have a converter or anything, I snipped the CPS2 connector off and attached some quick connects to the wires. I looked at the pin outs and had everything connected, ground and buttons but nothing was registering. I've tested continuity on button presses and they look to be working. Any thoughts? or things to try?

Buttons from the JAMMA edge work just fine buttons 1-3, but 4-6 won't work. Could it be an issue with these jumper wires(not sure what to call them) instead of a CN3 adapter?

I followed this pinout for the sega i/o board. 1 being the left most side in the picture
1-5v out
2-5v out
3-5v out
4-1p 6button
5-1p 7button
6-1p 8button
7-1p 9button
8-2p 6button
9-2p 7button
10-2p 8button
11-2p 9button
12-gnd
13-gnd
14-gnd

IMG_20220220_230246.jpg

Thanks for looking!

The outputs change depending on the position of the JP1 jumper.
You have it currently set to A, which should be correct... so...

Kick/Extra buttons

CN3 is a 14-pin JST_NH connector, when jumper JP1 in position B:
  • 5 buttons pr player, all on jamma edge
  • 8 general purpose driver outputs on CN3
Jumper JP1 in position A:
  • No general purpose outputs
  • 9 Buttons pr player, with buttons 6-9 via CN3:

Hmmm so just been messing with this, the CN3 adapter I have only came with 2 wires so I moved one of the wires to the ground. This ended up not working either, I'm going to order more of the crimp connector things (https://www.newark.com/jst-japan-so...407|&CMP=KNC-GUSA-GEN-Shopping-Smart-Med-ROAS). I think those are the right ones and see if that helps.

Is it possible the I/O could be faulty? Anyway to test?

IMG_20220225_123743.jpg

Buttons 1 to 5 are on the jamma edge, buttons 6 to 9 are on CN3. The pinout you have in your post is correct.

What are you using to test the button inputs?

I'm booting into Tetris Grand Master 3 on a Taito Type X multi and going to the service menu. I tested this also with a Tekken 3 PCB and when using the extra edge connector, I was able to get the buttons 4 and 5 working (theres no 6 button in tekken). So the button is wired up properly, I think.

Maybe I'm using the wrong words but the top 3 buttons work and the bottom 3 buttons arent working. Do I need to wire up the 4th button on a taito type x to the jamma edge?

Ok for some reason i thought buttons 4 through 6 werent on Jamma edge and went through the I/O board. Gonna connect some wires to the Jamma connector and will test.

Ok so didn't realize the Taito Type X uses the neogeo 4th button on jamma and thought it went through the buttons 6-9.
Ended up just soldering a new wire to the 4th button pin on the jamma connector and wiring up directly to the power supply ground and it worked!

Thanks everyone

Technically wrong. Type X doesn't know where the button inputs are on the JVS IO. The Sega JVS to Jamma IO has buttons 1-5 on the jamma edge, the rest are on the auxiliary connector. I'm sure there's some exception to this, but more than likely with any JVS game that has more than three buttons, the 4th button will be assigned to -- you guessed it -- the 4th button input.

Last edited:
Back