What's new

meyerli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently got a Scud Race DLX which had the original RPTV replaced by an Hantarex LCD TV. The Model 3 board is connected directly using the VGA port on the board.

Have realized that any menu and title screens are looking good but when starting a race the picture is getting some flickering. Tested the same with another Scud Race and an Emergency Call Ambulance board. Those 2 where even worse after starting a race and the TV sometimes turned to black searching for a signal. Again menu and title screen where find.

Is it possible that the Model 3 games are using another frequency during the races?
Did someone here already used some LCDs for their Model 3 games with the same issue?

All Sega Model 3 games run at medium resolution 25khz. Most people resorted to a video converter to run these Model 3 games on LCDs (VGA or HDMI). A GBS 8200 should work fine but I do recommend you do some mods to that to slightly increase the picture quality.

Thanks. I've tried with a GBS8200 with GBSControl mod, but the picture quality actually got worse. Also tried another TV and a PC monitor but both gave a warning about unsupported format.

GBSControl should give you enough options and control for a good picture, but if you absolutely have to have compatibility, get yourself an Extron DVS 304, the older model with VGA out.

So this should work in general with GBS8200 & GBSControl? Wondering what settings I could have done wrong to not get a picture from one Model 3 game while another works. The boards are working fine in an original twin.

Thanks, will test through dev settings of GBSControl.

Tried the same Model 3 board with same monitor in another cab (having the monitor stand with all the boards double) which worked fine. So will start replacing piece by piece to find the cause.

Interesting.
I have Model3 with Harley Davidson LA Riders.
Both my LCD projectors work with it just fine. VGA input or RGB+S.
However GBS8200 says "No signal". Sometimes I can see a frame or two, then sync lost again.

DVS 304 adds weird white vertical lines every 2nd line, no settings can fix that.
Projectors say video output from the PCB is 720x400@58

Image from DVS 304 attached.
Ignore the black dots, they are coming from dying DLP chip in the TV.
2023-01-12 17.47.05.jpg

EDIT: I have just tried connecting pattern generator to DVS 304 and it add these vertical lines in every sub 31khz mode.
I guess DVS 304 not meant for sub 31khz

Last edited:
Is the hantarex 4:3?
Do you have a pic?

Have you tried changing the vga cable?

It's a DLP tv.
I have tried many different cables.
I think that DVS 304 can't do 24khz.
And my GBS8200 may be just dead after long shelf life.
At least it's can't display any CGA/EGA modes from the pattern generator too.

Tomorrow would get a new one to test.

Just confusing if title screen is fine.
Correct me if I’m wrong but it’s all 24khz

Could you test your twin one with screen, but keep it setup in the twin.

Probs is screen…but this would rule out the other differences in your test if only the damn screen is the unique difference and not psu cables etc.

Also what do you mean dlp?
Dlp projector?

Got brand new GBS8200 today.
W̵h̵a̵t̵e̵v̵e̵r̵ ̵I̵ ̵d̵o̵ ̵-̵ ̵i̵t̵ ̵j̵u̵s̵t̵ ̵c̵a̵n̵'̵t̵ ̵s̵y̵n̵c̵.̵

Figured out sync issues.
It was expecting RGBHV, while Model 3 is RGBS

N̵o̵w̵ ̵h̵a̵v̵e̵ ̵s̵t̵r̵a̵g̵e̵ ̵a̵r̵t̵e̵f̵a̵c̵t̵ ̵t̵h̵a̵t̵ ̵p̵i̵c̵t̵u̵r̵e̵ ̵c̵o̵l̵o̵r̵ ̵s̵h̵i̵f̵t̵s̵ ̵i̵n̵t̵o̵ ̵p̵i̵n̵k̵ ̵i̵n̵ ̵a̵b̵o̵u̵t̵ ̵1̵0̵-̵1̵5̵ ̵s̵e̵c̵o̵n̵d̵s̵ ̵
P̵u̵s̵h̵i̵g̵ ̵"̵A̵u̵t̵o̵"̵ ̵b̵u̵t̵t̵o̵n̵ ̵b̵r̵i̵n̵g̵s̵ ̵i̵t̵ ̵b̵a̵c̵k̵ ̵t̵o̵ ̵n̵o̵r̵m̵a̵l̵ ̵c̵o̵l̵o̵r̵s̵,̵ ̵t̵h̵e̵n̵ ̵i̵t̵ ̵s̵l̵o̵w̵l̵y̵ ̵s̵h̵i̵f̵t̵s̵ ̵a̵g̵a̵i̵n̵.̵

Ok, everything works now. Clamps settings were making it drift into pink.

View: https://youtu.be/mCgzhMJouio

Also what do you mean dlp?
DLP TV. It is an old TV, with DLP rojector inside, that projects into the build in screen from the rear.
I want to convert it to 4:3 and fit into original cab. Original cab has CRT projection and the tubes are way too dead.
I have tried to source old CRT TV for swapping the tubes/chassis, but it is not much better/brighter.

Last edited:
Back