What's new

TD444

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie hear - I just purchased a Sega Rally 1 complete unit with 2 machines...
One is working all be it with a funky setup for the start button but machine #2 is not working - it is the right hand machine.

When you plug in the connectors to the back the screen comes on but has flashing image of nothing really and has a really loud buzzing noise.

Any suggestions on what I should look for first?

Also - where is best to buy any spares - #2 machine could do with a few cosmetic items to bring it back to life once it can get working again..

Cheers
T

And the first thing you should do is clean every pcb possible and check the fans.

Thanks all - yes i have a multi-meter - no issue that side...

Does anyone have a good clear set of schematics with expected voltages to make it easier to plot my way around?

I had heard that machine 2 did turn but had a credit issue, maybe something got loose on transit...

hmm was this on ebay around £600-£700?
This was also my first cab, with nothing working - I knew nothing, but you learn, so have fun doing it! The game is best of all time... but sorting issues and the reward is even better!

BEFORE FIXING
Honestly... do your self a favour...
clean it all out.
Check fans are running, list what isn't, and find out what you need.
Lift seats, take the back panels off behind pedals and monitor - clean and understand whats there
To be scared, but don't stick you hand in the monitor electronics if you don't know what your doing.
Remove the nuts around pedal base (3 per side?) that panel comes out - clean
now you can get to all plugs, take then apart one by one and slot them back together pushing all wires towards each other.
Now your ready...

FIXING:

1.Check voltage on psu - I believe it tells you top of it or above the plugs on it. There is only 12v and 5v, you can even replace with a jamma PSU. All yellow are 5v, white are ground. So al those multi pin plugs going in board that are half filled white, and other half yellow, are 5c with ground. Simple? 12v is only used for part of the machine - red wire it must be.

VOLTAGES ARE OK? you probs want higher than 12,5, at the PSU, as by the time they hit the board they will have dropped. You can measure the white/yellow multi plugs. Just remove one on the game board. You can not harm game board by under powering. If a cable isn't plugged in you won't harm it. Ive even bridged 5 & earth and it just resets the pcb - but not advised. I did this by accident.

2. Voltages looking good, but still not booting.... (im assuming board - because you have no sound either, unrelated to monitor)
Want to assume monitor ok - got to 3.

1 way to check the monitor -
Put the cabs back to back, and take the big plug out of the right hand side of monitors, and feed the good side into the bad side monitor... turn on...
Do you get picture on the bad side now? YES? monitor ok. NO - monitor likely at fault.
If so - test the bad side (which we now think is monitor issue, but lets see if board good) - so feed non working side into good side monitor.

3. If the monitor is good, and it seems to be the board, lets take everything out of the equation. Firstly take the lid off the board under the seat, are the lights on - do they do the same as working side?
If they don't we have an issue.
Inside that big cage remove the screws in the feet of the pcb on both cabs and swap them over (player 1 and 2). Once screws out, you pull the board back to disconnect.
Be careful, but don't be scared, yes they are fragile to some degree, but they are also tough to some degree. You'll laugh at how careful you be at first compared to years time when you done this 10 times over and throw them about, you get more and more heavy with these things.

does the working side board now work in none working side and vice versa.

get this far - report back and if not working you have a layer of the board at fault, then similar process mixing and matching boards until you know which one prevents it loading. Top board i(rom, game) is best news £50-£100, next board down (video card) - bad news £200 - £300, last board CPU medium news £100-£150
Whole secondhand stack = £250-£350

VOLTAGES ARE OK? you probs want higher than 12,5, at the PSU, as by the time they hit the board they will have dropped.

This is why you measure voltage at the board. Don't make assumptions. The ROM board will be on top, so just look up the pinout of whatever EPROM you will find on it. Then just measure voltage between Vcc and Vss.

If you replace the PSU, make sure it has a beefy +5V rail.

+12V runs only the fans on Model 2.

Agree... But I just find people who know this little at the beginning, struggle, so just trying to keep it simple, at least he won't be overpowering - right?
I have never done what you have suggested, but I will do in future. Good info - thanks

Back