What's new
1649262478907.jpg

Works really well! Thanks a lot nem!!
Nice!! I am SOOOO jealous!! I sent my shifter board to Ken in February but waiting to hear back; he's probably backlogged to heck. If only I had the skills to rebuild the repro board.
But great it actually works. I will make MY own video of it in action and a modified racing wheel on YouTube when I find a working one or have it back successfully repaired.

Well, after watching tutorials on through-hole soldering, I decided to try my hands at making my own repro board after buying a few of them in bulk, and while my first attempt was janky with a possible bridge underneath, I was a lot more careful on my next one! It works great, though there is no neutral position, which is not the fault of nem but the way Deith Leisure (the upright cabinet designer) designed the original logic board.
It's ideal for beginners who want to do more through-hole soldering but also makes playing Daytona and Super GT much more enjoyable at home on the real hardware. Thank you nem for your hard work! ;)

Attachments

• Sega 4-way repro board.jpg
    Sega 4-way repro board.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 83
I know it isn't Model 2-related, but would 18 Wheeler on Naomi work with this logic board despite not using a 4th gear? I pulled up the wiring schematic from the manual and it shows the pinout for the shifter that uses 3 switches on the JVS I/O.

Seems that the shifter on the arcade cabinet literally works in the same manner as the Daytona shifter. There's the Reverse gear in the game that uses two of the switches, which I was able to verify from using an older build of Flycast (the developer fixed this later on). I've heard if you plop it in a Crazy Taxi or another cab, the shifter has to be held and possibly remapped.

I have a Naomi 2 coming from Japan and bought two cartridges including this game, so I would love to be able to enjoy the arcade version of 18 Wheeler on real hardware. It's such a fun game even if you use a 180 or 270 degree steering wheel. The art and soundtrack make the game so campy. So it's time for me to embark on a new arcade hardware journey -- I've always wanted a Naomi. :P

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230221-223334_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230221-223334_Drive.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 47
18 Wheeler has individual switches for all three gears. Reverse isn't a combination, it's just left. So no, it wouldn't work.

Reverse isn't a combination, it's just left. So no, it wouldn't work.
Actually, I confirm it is. I just received my Naomi 2 from Japan today and wired it up with Dupont connectors plugged to my Model 3 driving harness, with the shifter board connected, respectively, from pins 13, 14, and 15 to pins 22, 24, and 26 of the 60pin connector on the JVS I/O. So I can confirm 18 Wheeler is playable using this logic board. Reverse uses pin 22 and one of those other switches.
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/rbqni5mK85Q?feature=share

That's really neat. I am surprised that it works though. Reverse isn't a combination. You have three gears and three switches. You don't need combinations. I guess in this case left takes precedence over the other two inputs and that's why it works.

I have the OG cabinet set up currently. Maybe I'll check it out.

Last edited:
Back