What's new

98pacecar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm working through a batch of project boards i got from a friend and ran across an ST-V setup. Noticed it has a supercap on it and was wondering if the board will work with it removed. Hate for it to leak and kill the mobo. I'm not worried about losing settings or anything like that.

Will any 0.1F (100mF) 5.5V supercap work? Does it need to be a specific ESR (75 Ohm, etc)?

Will any 0.1F (100mF) 5.5V supercap work? Does it need to be a specific ESR (75 Ohm, etc)?
Didn't even thought the ESR would have any significance on that part. I just looked at the farad rating of the original one and ordered a bunch from aliexpress since I coulnd't find 0.1F 5.5v one from local electronics stores. I did used them on may be 5 ST-Vs I repaired. Didn't noticed any weirdness :)

Not sure 100% but probably its sole purpose is to help the cell battery live a little longer to keep the NVRAM. Because of its capacitance is huge (0.1F is huge) it is practically a cheap rechargeable battery.

Thanks for the great info yavuzg. I added this one to my next Digikey order. I did a full recap of my ST-V last week, so I might as well finish it off with a new supercap.

Back