What's new

ikamusume

Student
Reaction score
wboy-conv-mpuboard.jpg

You may have seen this CPU module with a PAL in games like Wonderboy or Sega Ninja. As some of the Sega System 1 games were encrypted and bootleggers made CPUs to decrypt them.

20231001_194056.jpg
-o33kwa.jpg

Unfortunately, two of the components used in these modules are hard to find now, and they are (quite) large. I researched decryption methods and made a new replacement with modern small components. I used a flash ROM as a decryption table storage, and reconstructed known decryption keys, changing the values and order to suit my circuit. My new module can hold decryption keys for a total of 14(all System 1 PPI games), including famous ones like Ninja Princess, Teddy Boy Blues, The Togyu, I'm Sorry, and Spatter.

I developed this as a replacement for the original CPU, but of course, you can utilize this for ROM swapping as well. Replacing ROMs and changing the DIP SW setting allow the CPU to decode the instructions for that game.

This works on the original Sega PCB, and on a bootleg with the CPU module in the first picture, but unfortunately, I have not been able to test on a variant where the bootlegger's decryption solution is on the main PCB instead of the module.

I'm thinking of selling it for around $35-$40 and was wondering how many people would be interested.

This is not open source because I don't want to see my module on eBay.

would be nice to have the decrypted romset too, to have more games into one pcb...

In my opinion, this is a good opportunity even if only as a tool for repairing originals/bootlegs of this system, I am amazed that there are so few people interested.

Back