What's new

GadgetFreak

Student
Reaction score
My Sega System 1 multi is finished and proven to work on a wide variety of the System 1 boards.
It makes 16 games available with on screen menu selection, DIP settings, High Score saving and Freeplay mode.
It does not work on Choplifter PCB's as these are system 2 and technically quite different to a system 1. But it will work on both the Z80 PIO and 8255 PPI variants of the boards which includes the Midway 6 Pack version / Midway Up'n Down boards. It even works on the commonly found Sega system 1 boards that have 1/2 Sega sub boards on them which add extra sprite rom space and 4 way scrolling. These mods were commonly done to earlier boards so they could run Wonderboy, I believe this was the highest selling game on this board.
The games that can be setup are 4D-Warriors, Bullfight, Flicky, I'm Sorry, Mister Viking, My Hero, Pitfall II, Rafflesia, Regulus, Sega Ninja, Spatter, Star Jacker, SWAT, Teddyboy Blues, Up'n Down & Wonderboy.

I am pretty certain it would run on any bootleg but all the bootlegs have various forms of plug in boards to replace the 5011/5012 customs and also the small shifters that are usually near the tile roms. So although the multi would work fine you may have trouble actually getting it to fit on the board along with the bootleg plug in boards. Certainly one of the bootleg types I have seen has a very large plug in board that covers most of the pcb.
In theory you could probably increase the pin headers on these bootleg plugins so that the multi could fit beneath it. Best thing to do is to look at the pictures in the manual of boards with the multi fitted, that way you can judge if it would fit your board.

I have 7 PIO sets, 2 PPI sets and 3 Midway/UpNDown sets built & tested and ready to be shipped.
I won't have any more avaiable until probably March next year as I will need a new batch of PCB's & components.
The price is £350 for a assembled and tested set which is pretty much plug & play to fit to the board.
More info is in the manual:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15R1uQmP-oI5PkzhXWM9ldhylExr0w4yA/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
My Sega System 1 multi is finished and proven to work on a wide variety of the System 1 boards.
It makes 16 games available with on screen menu selection, DIP settings, High Score saving and Freeplay mode.
It does not work on Choplifter PCB's as these are system 2 and technically quite different to a system 1. But it will work on both the Z80 PIO and 8255 PPI variants of the boards which includes the Midway 6 Pack version / Midway Up'n Down boards. It even works on the commonly found Sega system 1 boards that have 1/2 Sega sub boards on them which add extra sprite rom space and 4 way scrolling. These mods were commonly done to earlier boards so they could run Wonderboy, I believe this was the highest selling game on this board.
The games that can be setup are 4D-Warriors, Bullfight, Flicky, I'm Sorry, Mister Viking, My Hero, Pitfall II, Rafflesia, Regulus, Sega Ninja, Spatter, Star Jacker, SWAT, Teddyboy Blues, Up'n Down & Wonderboy.

I am pretty certain it would run on any bootleg but all the bootlegs have various forms of plug in boards to replace the 5011/5012 customs and also the small shifters that are usually near the tile roms. So although the multi would work fine you may have trouble actually getting it to fit on the board along with the bootleg plug in boards. Certainly one of the bootleg types I have seen has a very large plug in board that covers most of the pcb.
In theory you could probably increase the pin headers on these bootleg plugins so that the multi could fit beneath it. Best thing to do is to look at the pictures in the manual of boards with the multi fitted, that way you can judge if it would fit your board.

I have 7 PIO sets, 2 PPI sets and 3 Midway/UpNDown sets built & tested and ready to be shipped.
I won't have any more avaiable until probably March next year as I will need a new batch of PCB's & components.
The price is £350 for a assembled and tested set which is pretty much plug & play to fit to the board.
More info is in the manual:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15R1uQmP-oI5PkzhXWM9ldhylExr0w4yA/view?usp=sharing
I'm sure Charlie over at Overtime Arcade would be interested in giving it a try. He recently obtained a Sega System 1 PCB. Nice work!

Del

I received mine and it looks great. Just having trouble hunting down a donor...

He mentions bootleg…
And guess what i just found

I aso have a « pitfall2 » that i need to open and confirm original or boot

Attachments

• IMG_0369.jpeg
    IMG_0369.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0362.jpeg
    IMG_0362.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 30
Can you please dump those eproms and send them over to me via PM. Let's see if that game is dumped and preserved. I wonder how can one see what's inside that resin covered PCB. Probably more Eproms and some logic. Has anyone ever removed in a nice and clean way that resin?

It would quite likely fit that Pitfall booty you have as the 5011/2 custom replacement is on ribbons and I think the shifter replacement board is clear enough of the Char GFX eproms that the Tile board will fit.
The MyHero one though would not easily work. Perhaps you could extend the pins on the plugin board so that it sits above my multi boards but it would be a bit of work.

hello!

will this work on an original system 1 wonderboy?
edit - looks like it does! as per the manual

thank you

Attachments

• i-img1077x1200-1689323369imirla1564850.jpg
    i-img1077x1200-1689323369imirla1564850.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
hello!

will this work on an original system 1 wonderboy?
edit - looks like it does! as per the manual

thank you
I think it would. The CPU appears to be a Sega protected 315-5179 which would need to be changed for a regular Z80.
Strange thing is that Mame lists that CPU as being for a PPI WBoy6 set rather than PIO which is what your board is.
To use my multi you would change CPU for Z80 and remove the longer slim plugin board with 4 eproms on it, reconnecting the 2 wires to my plugin multi board.

Back