What's new

djturbolence

Student
Reaction score
I’ve seen some conflicting things on the internet, was bare knuckles (streets of rage) available on the system 18? Has anyone seen it?, I don’t think I saw it on the multi list but maybe I’m missing something.

I know there’s an arcade version that takes credits and doesn’t have extra lives.

Check this thread https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/fs:bare-knuckle-streets-of-rage-pcb.20831/

Looks like Streets of Rage was never officially released as an arcade board. These were custom boards most likely.

Check this thread https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/fs:bare-knuckle-streets-of-rage-pcb.20831/

Looks like Streets of Rage was never officially released as an arcade board. These were custom boards most likely.
I saw that actually, but I've played bare knuckles II on MAME, wouldnt that mean it had some sort of arcade version release?

I guess they can just use the Chinese Bootleg version, dang. I was hoping there was some sort of official release of this although rare.

Not officially. Like you said, kind of a pseudo bootleg (as there was no original arcade release). I think Bare knuckle was purely a Genesis/ Megadrive release.

Not officially. Like you said, kind of a pseudo bootleg (as there was no original arcade release). I think Bare knuckle was purely a Genesis/ Megadrive release.
But technically if it was on the Sega Mega Play, that would be an arcade release yeah?

I remember it was released on bootleg for sega mega-tech they called it. I think they did it for all 3 rage's.

I know there’s an arcade version that takes credits and doesn’t have extra lives.
That seems to be the mega play version.

I've seen PCBs on AliExpress that claim to be bare knuckles but make no mention of mega play. I'm guessing these are bootlegs.

If SEGA Japan had half a brain, there would have been a Bare Knuckle SYSTEM-32 game (the MEGA-CD would have been 32-bit, the Saturn, or 32-bit M-CD, would have received SYSTEM-32 conversions, we would have a MEGA-CD/Saturn version of PS: End of the Millennium etc!!) but naturally, they did not do that. Such a missed opportunity, especially with CAPCOM not making a proper CPS-II Final Fight (and makaimura!) sequel.

If SEGA Japan had half a brain, there would have been a Bare Knuckle SYSTEM-32 game (the MEGA-CD would have been 32-bit, the Saturn, or 32-bit M-CD, would have received SYSTEM-32 conversions, we would have a MEGA-CD/Saturn version of PS: End of the Millennium etc!!) but naturally, they did not do that. Such a missed opportunity, especially with CAPCOM not making a proper CPS-II Final Fight (and makaimura!) sequel.
Since no one was doing it we might assume sales were not great for that style of game during that time. Like how “pixel” games weren’t selling during the PS era. Clearly a dumb move now, but at the time Sony was really selling.

Since no one was doing it we might assume sales were not great for that style of game during that time. Like how “pixel” games weren’t selling during the PS era. Clearly a dumb move now, but at the time Sony was really selling.
Very true. Ironically, it was SEGA that started the whole 3D thing with the MODEL1 board. But still, they did make Arabian Fight, Spiderman and Revenge of Death Adder in that era. An arcade Bare Knuckle in 1993 would have worked perfectly.

The MD game would have had time to shine and sell its millions and we would have had an amazing arcade Bare Knuckle game. I always wished SEGA Japan had remade some late MD games on the Saturn, as they did with the Mark-III (or sequels) when the MD was released. A Saturn BK would have been just as good as a S32 game.

Back