What's new

narf

Student
Reaction score
Hello CPS1 gurus.
My SF2 World Warrior recently decided to go into a reboot loop. Gets to the end of the copyright / region warning screen then reboots. This is just before the title / attract screen normally starts.
Previously it would very occasionally reboot randomly (possibly the beginning of the issue), other than that it worked with no other noticeable problems.
Its always liked 5-5.05v range
can't find any faults in the test or initial boot screens
Is there any fault finding I can do short of a logic probe?

thanks in advance

If you increase the voltage does it still reboot?

Do you have an eeprom programmer? I’d validate the program roms first. They’re the ones that probably have eprom labels with numbers between 28 and 38, in a group of 8. Pcb silkscreen says 9e/9f through 12e/12f

If you increase the voltage does it still reboot?
take the voltage on the jamma edge. 5.00v-5.05v is fine if you measure on the jamma edge. Don’t increase it.

The only time increasing voltage works is if you’re measuring early, like on the jamma harness or at the psu, and not the pcb itself, and there is drop before the chips. The chips want 5v nothing more. Grab a pinout of a chip if you want and measure it directly! Some old huge pcbs need extra voltage because the drop occurs between the jamma edge and the chip itself.

Do you have an eeprom programmer? I’d validate the program roms first. They’re the ones that probably have eprom labels with numbers between 28 and 38, in a group of 8. Pcb silkscreen says 9e/9f through 12e/12f
no I don't sorry. it's running v910214 if that helps at all

One of my CPS1 boards was doing that same thing. Swapping C-boards with other CPS1 boards I had handy proved the C-board custom was dying. Reflowed solder, still no change. Had to get a new C-board.

If you have other CPS1 boards, start swapping them around to see if that changes anything for you. Isolate which board has the fault. Do what @ekorz tells you first if you can. If it is the C-board, reflow solder first. If after reflowing, you still have the problem, likely you'll have to find another C-board.

One of my CPS1 boards was doing that same thing. Swapping C-boards with other CPS1 boards I had handy proved the C-board custom was dying. Reflowed solder, still no change. Had to get a new C-board.

If you have other CPS1 boards, start swapping them around to see if that changes anything for you. Isolate which board has the fault. Do what @ekorz tells you first if you can. If it is the C-board, reflow solder first. If after reflowing, you still have the problem, likely you'll have to find another C-board.
hmm I don't have a spare CPS1 - C Board 90632C-1 . Is this C Board compatible with any others?

Not sure. But you might want to pick one of these up: https://www.daywin.net/products/unmodified-cps1-b-21-c-boards

Info on that in this thread here. Might be a discussion in there where someone says it works with SF2WW. Will be 100% compatible with the upcoming CPS1 multi anyway.

But you might want to do the other things mentioned in case you don't want to put in the expense first, or it doesn't end up working as an outright replacement for you. If I was in your situation, given my past experience, I'd swoop up one of those C-boards before they are gone. Small investment and if it fails, could be thrown away or sold.

Not sure. But you might want to pick one of these up: https://www.daywin.net/products/unmodified-cps1-b-21-c-boards

Info on that in this thread here. Might be a discussion in there where someone says it works with SF2WW. Will be 100% compatible with the upcoming CPS1 multi anyway.

But you might want to do the other things mentioned in case you don't want to put in the expense first, or it doesn't end up working as an outright replacement for you. If I was in your situation, given my past experience, I'd swoop up one of those C-boards before they are gone. Small investment and if it fails, could be thrown away or sold.
thanks for the tip, I'll pick one up. C boards seem to die like flies anyway so handy to have a spare.

Smart man. Keep us posted on how it goes. Update that other thread with your results.

Oh yeah, that spare C-board doesn't have the kick harness. So it won't be fully compatible with SF2WW. Still good to have, especially if you plans to get the upcoming multi. And it's such a small cost.

Since that spare C-Board is already on the way, I would say if you have a soldering iron, see if you can reflow the custom on the C-board you have now. If someone around you can help with rom burning, do what ekorz suggests too. Let us know how it goes.

Oh yeah, that spare C-board doesn't have the kick harness. So it won't be fully compatible with SF2WW. Still good to have, especially if you plans to get the upcoming multi. And it's such a small cost.

Since that spare C-Board is already on the way, I would say if you have a soldering iron, see if you can reflow the custom on the C-board you have now. If someone around you can help with rom burning, do what ekorz suggests too. Let us know how it goes.
AG I have a male JST 10 Pin connector floating around. I can't quite tell but I assume that board still has the vias I can solder the connector into
--edit--
looks like it has the kick connector already?
cps_kick.JPG

Last edited:
Back