What's new
For Sale
I don't want to derail this thread any more than it already has been, nor do I want to get anyone's hopes up... But, I have the ability to a) make the tooling, and b) mold the parts. I've done a little DFM on this after seeing the Hursit project fizzle out.

Where things fall apart is the artwork. I don't have the capability to do part decorating. If there is anyone else in the industry that could help with this (or have other suggestions for applying the artwork), it would turn turn this into something more than a nice thought.

The problem isn't so much artwork availability, but how to apply the artwork. It's actually printed on the part (either pad or silk screen, I'm guessing) -- a decal would work, but if you're going through the trouble of molding it would be nice to get it 1:1.

The problem isn't so much artwork availability, but how to apply the artwork. It's actually printed on the part (either pad or silk screen, I'm guessing) -- a decal would work, but if you're going through the trouble of molding it would be nice to get it 1:1.

Correct. The artwork is done. Many people have iterated on it, including myself.

Applying it correctly has always been a challenge. The other challenge is the color. The below is my last attempt, and color matches a NOS IL that I have here. However because of application issues, when backlit, it's no longer correct. Also I could never get the halftone dots figured out right.

I'm not sure what version of the art Barry used but I gave him my source files before as well.

The whole thing is frankly exhausting and I have given up caring at this point lol.

And sorry for the derail, happy to take this post down or repost the info somewhere useful.
Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 4.51.59 PM.png

Here is a nice one:
nice.jpg

Here is a really cigarette stained one:
abused.jpg

Here is a NOS-ish one:
nos.jpg

Here is the above art, printed on Oracal, applied to a Taito blank:
repro.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't even think about the light affecting the color. Frankly, I'm out of my element on the artwork application. It's good to know it at least exists, but without some expertise I wouldn't feel confident. Maybe the next time I deal with some of our machine reps I'll show them the part. Often, they can at least point you to a company that can help. Perhaps they could be molded and another company could apply the artwork as a secondary operation. Best option I can think of at the moment.

I just want to take on the project so the forum can quit talking about these stupid things :P (... and I do need one for an E3)

I didn't even think about the light affecting the color. Frankly, I'm out of my element on the artwork application. It's good to know it at least exists, but without some expertise I wouldn't feel confident. Maybe the next time I deal with some of our machine reps I'll show them the part. Often, they can at least point you to a company that can help. Perhaps they could be molded and another company could apply the artwork as a secondary operation. Best option I can think of at the moment.

I just want to take on the project so the forum can quit talking about these stupid things :P (... and I do need one for an E3)

Yeah, there's so much to consider on these.

The screenprinting was done layer by layer for these, either directly on the panel, or done in layers on a water-transferable sticker, and then applied to the panel....honestly couldn't say.....either is possible....someone else would have to chime in.

But the color temp of the florescent, the ink colors having to be designed for the "while lit" color, AND the unlit color, and the multitude of repro sidearts that are all slightly different tones/shades, instead of one defninitive factory process for everything, makes these things hellish, and then you have to add in E3, and AWSD variations, and account for the community which is quite honestly, picky as ever-loving-fuck.

The parts Taito can get/make easily are the best place to start with the orders....and should be the focus.

Someone/s eventually will find the will, expertise and courage to knock out the illumination panels, and I will be excited for that day...but till then....with the understanding i have of parts production, company mentality, and professional cat-wrangling, I wouldn't wish the illumination project on anyone...period.

If the opportunity ever arises again though, I will ask the same questions, and ask for the same transparency that I'd ask for from anyone, on a project of that magnitude.

Absolutely correct as far as what's important to focus on right now. I didn't mean to open this can of worms; it seems any mention of these things gets people hot and bothered, lol

I do appreciate all the extra information and thought, though. You hit the nail on the head with community pickiness.

In the mean time, I'm going to deeply consider this problem. Not another word until I think there is something worth saying. :)

the simplest would be to ask taito from how many pieces it would be possible for them to
restart production (I think that 200 pieces for example would easily be sold if the price is reasonable; a lot of plexiglass has been yellowed by nicotine or by poor quality neon)
Identical manufacturing by the original manufacturer would be the best argument for selling new productions.

for everyone who has egret two
or who wants to modify their egret 3 or atomiswave

the same thing for the decoration set
cabs
and panel overlays etc etc

a reproduction of the original by the original manufacturer would be the best selling point for taito

and in the end would be the most interesting for all of us

Only way this can happen is if new tooling is purchased which can be very expensive. I can ask if they can do this if we pitch in for tooling cost.

But with everything else going on, I would like to focus on the current group parts purchase first and ask for the illumination panel later.
Of course, I did not mean to complicate this at all!

Thank you for taking on this project!

Correct. The artwork is done. Many people have iterated on it, including myself.

Applying it correctly has always been a challenge. The other challenge is the color. The below is my last attempt, and color matches a NOS IL that I have here. However because of application issues, when backlit, it's no longer correct. Also I could never get the halftone dots figured out right.

I'm not sure what version of the art Barry used but I gave him my source files before as well.

The whole thing is frankly exhausting and I have given up caring at this point lol.

And sorry for the derail, happy to take this post down or repost the info somewhere useful.
Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 4.51.59 PM.png

Here is a nice one:
nice.jpg

Here is a really cigarette stained one:
abused.jpg

Here is a NOS-ish one:
nos.jpg

Here is the above art, printed on Oracal, applied to a Taito blank:
repro.jpg
Are the Taito Blank ones available for order or purchase somewhere?

Back