What's new

kazuyajin1080

Student
Reaction score
As the topic states. I just finally received this PCB today, from a seller on ebay. I have popped it in my supergun, however, no sound comes in. I was looking at the manual that has been scanned on the internet to see if it was a dipswitch setting or what have, but to no avail. I was then looking at the system16 website and mentions that the sound chip is either YM2610, YM2610B or YM2203 and the sound cpu is a z80...could there be a possibly that the eeprom for that chip went wrong? I have even taken the eeproms out and re-seated them, yet to no avail...I am wondering what other steps I am missing in order to regain sound to this game.

Thank you.

I don't have Silent Dragon but I have Crime City which according the System16 website is same hardware and it requires -5V set on from my Supergun for the sound to work.
https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=660&page=1#1649

Have you checked that does your Supergun output -5V or do you hava a Jamma harness between the Supergun and the pcb and does it have that wired. Some ready to go JAMMA harnesses do not have the -5V wired since it is rare that it is needed.

https://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Arcade//Manual/formated/Silent_Dragon_-_1992_-_Taito.pdf

The -5V should be on the 5th pin like it shows in the manual
1666208208780.png

Haven't really found a good site that would list all of the games that require the -5V. But I think a good rule of thumb is that if the wiring guide on the manual doesn't leave it as blank or something like "Not used" then it might be required for the sound to work.

I don't have Silent Dragon but I have Crime City which according the System16 website is same hardware and it requires -5V set on from my Supergun for the sound to work.
https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=660&page=1#1649

Have you checked that does your Supergun output -5V or do you hava a Jamma harness between the Supergun and the pcb and does it have that wired. Some ready to go JAMMA harnesses do not have the -5V wired since it is rare that it is needed.

https://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Arcade//Manual/formated/Silent_Dragon_-_1992_-_Taito.pdf

The -5V should be on the 5th pin like it shows in the manual
1666208208780.png

Haven't really found a good site that would list all of the games that require the -5V. But I think a good rule of thumb is that if the wiring guide on the manual doesn't leave it as blank or something like "Not used" then it might be required for the sound to work.
I kind of figured that it might be something to do with that. I have 2 superguns. One my buddy made and the HAS...and so far the sound for -5 volts isn't coming on either....I don't know if I am just to adjust the power supply to make it -5volts or what...don't want to mess up boards ya know.

I kind of figured that it might be something to do with that. I have 2 superguns. One my buddy made and the HAS...and so far the sound for -5 volts isn't coming on either....I don't know if I am just to adjust the power supply to make it -5volts or what...don't want to mess up boards ya know.
just to follow up that both of these superguns have -5 volts wired....What else do you think it could?

I got the picture from the initial post that the seller had sold it as working (sound included) so I figured it might be something simple on the setup that people might overlook like the -5V requirement. It has certainly caught me off guard since not all my cabinets have it wired.

Not familiar with the HAS personally but it looks like it uses the switching power supply which should have it own line labeled for the -5V. But if that is all connected up then it shouldn't be an issue. All PSU I have seen only have one adjustment knob at it is more important the +5V is correct for the game to work than to get the 12V or the -5V line to be just right. But it doesn't hurt to monitor all the voltages between games. The HAS should have voltage meter to show the +5V and 12V, but to check the -5V you need a multimeter.

1666245212430.png

And just to clarify on my initial post my Supergun uses PC PSU which can't normally generate -5V, but the Supergun has circuit build in that can generate it if the switch is toggled on.

No other quick fixes come to mind, but what I usually do is try to identify some key components in the audio section and start probing with multimeter to get voltage readings. I can try to get some reading from my Crime City PCB to compare since according to the System 16 they should have somewhat same components in the audio section.

Back