What's new

Coyo5050

Professional
Reaction score
So after years of wanting to get a 3D printer and waffling back and forth I finally got one. I had always planned on getting a Prussia but the price held me back. Found a crazy low price on a Dremel 3D40 ($400). I know it is limited to PLA but being fully enclosed, super easy to use, adapters to use 3rd party filament and reliable, I am really loving this thing.

Have printed a bunch of things but want to try creating some stuff. Anyone have any recommendations / favorites? I hear TinkerCAD is popular but I can get my hands on other software if it is better.

I think TinkerCAD is a good starting point. It's really easy to use, and will let you get your feet wet. With some effort you can do a lot of things with it. Then when you find you're running into limitations you can explore the next level. I personally find pro CAD software to have a pretty steep learning curve if you're not already familiar with it.

TinkerCAD is a good enough to use now especially since it's aimed at beginners. I wouldn't worry too much about choosing a correct or best program to start with.

I feel like the software you use is less important than becoming familiar and competent in whatever you happen to be using. Making good quality 3D models is a learned skill that takes time and practice. Once you get good at 1 program, you can switch to a different program if you need to, and do so fairly quickly, since the skills you learned before will carry over.

That being said, I hear good things about Fusion 360, which should fit modeling stuff for arcade machines quite well. It's also an Autodesk product (like TinkerCAD), so it probably has a decent sized user base, which means more tutorials, forums, help, etc. I personally just stuck with the same software I use with my work due to laziness... I haven't created enough of my own stuff yet to justify spending the time on a new program, although learning F360 is something I eventually plan to do.

Back