What's new
Xodarap I have seen another post which mentions this resistor has a part to play in successful key writing on rev 3 and 4 boards which is interesting. Do you know what resistor it it / a link to buy it? Thanks

Is it mandatory? My v4 doesnt have one and works fine.

Some boards seem to work without it and others don't. If it's not installed and not working I don't see the harm in installing it to rule it out as a factor.

At this stage im wiling to try anything to rule things out. I have had a good google around and it is a 4.7k resistor that bridges pins A32 and C32 which is installed to aid in key writing on some version 3 and 4 boards. One user successfully solved the key writing issue by installing this. Capcom also install this on some boards (I have another board which had this factory installed).

On another post I also saw a user with an oscilloscope test the clock signal on these older boards. They went 1 step further and installed a 75 ohm resistor between the source of the clock signal and A32 to stabalise the clock signal. Ill keep that one in the back pocket in case the shortening of cable and adding the 4.7k resistor dont help.

What would the wattage rating be on the 4.7k resistor? Im trying to buy one and there are quite a few options (0.25W, 0.5W, 1W, 2W).

What would the wattage rating be on the 4.7k resistor? Im trying to buy one and there are quite a few options (0.25W, 0.5W, 1W, 2W).
Nothing you'll be running will require a high wattage. Get the lowest/cheapest option.

Ohms Law: P=I*R
R=4700
I=5 (I think, even if it's 12v that's only 0.03 amp)
So P (wattage) is only ~0.005 or 0.001 amp. You'll be hard pressed to blow the resistor.

well, disaster for key writing struck today. I was removing the arthimus adapter to rule that out and have taken the top later off the setup 2 tab. is there an alternate location for this on the board or is that my key writing dream out the window?

well, disaster for key writing struck today. I was removing the arthimus adapter to rule that out and have taken the top later off the setup 2 tab. is there an alternate location for this on the board or is that my key writing dream out the window?
Ouch (got pics?)... I was never able to find a trace for the setup1 & setup2 pads (I wanted to check continuity with my soldering). Perhaps @Darksoft can answer?

Edit: OK, looked around a bit and found a similar issue that was worked through (setup2 pad being lifted). Pics of your board would help asses the damage, but it looks like Setup2 traces to the nearby pin on the ARM processor.
cps2_multi_label - copia.png

As Darksoft mentions, this would be some fine soldering to connect kynar wire to the ARM pin and build a new pad.

Attachments

• xodara_fix.jpg
    xodara_fix.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I'm afraid that you'll need to do some fine soldering to the ARM legs.

I have attached a pic. I can see the leg the trace attaches to.

Attachments

• IMG_4346.jpg
    IMG_4346.jpg
    897.7 KB · Views: 122
I have attached a pic. I can see the leg the trace attaches to.
OK, that's not too bad... depending on your level of soldering skill, you could attach a kynar wire lead to the trace that is exposed (might need to expose it a bit more). Would be easier than trying to solder onto the pin (I always have issues with getting the pins bridged when I try stuff like that).

Ill try and solder to the trace after exposing it a bit more. I'm not going to attempt soldering to the arm leg (I have had horrible experiences trying that in the past too). If that fails ill just run with the unencrypted roms. One interesting bit of information if anyone looks at this in future. I swapped back to the version 6 board (the one that gave the white screen all the time). This board is really unusual. It will play from the darksoft kit with an infinikey installed and set to the game on the kit. If I remove the key it plays neither encryped or unencrypted roms..bizzare.

Ill try and solder to the trace after exposing it a bit more. I'm not going to attempt soldering to the arm leg (I have had horrible experiences trying that in the past too). If that fails ill just run with the unencrypted roms. One interesting bit of information if anyone looks at this in future. I swapped back to the version 6 board (the one that gave the white screen all the time). This board is really unusual. It will play from the darksoft kit with an infinikey installed and set to the game on the kit. If I remove the key it plays neither encryped or unencrypted roms..bizzare.
Sounds like the encryption chip isn't clearing properly? Make sure you use kynar or similar wire when trying to resolder to the trace. You just need it to connect, then use hot glue to anchor it.

Edit: And fyi, regarding the 4.7 kΩ resistor. Should look like this when installed it seems.
cps2_15.jpg

Back in business. That was tricky!! Just waiting for the resistor to turn up now.

Attachments

• 992217E6-CA03-433D-915C-8FC6033E3B03.jpeg
    992217E6-CA03-433D-915C-8FC6033E3B03.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 119
Back in business. That was tricky!! Just waiting for the resistor to turn up now.
Higher gauge wire than I was thinking should be used, but if you have continuity to the pin on the ARM chip and not shorted to the resistor it looks good!

Higher gauge wire than I was thinking should be used, but if you have continuity to the pin on the ARM chip and not shorted to the resistor it looks good
It was the thinnest Kynar wire I had at the time and I’m impatient . I’ll double check I have continuity from the ARM leg in the morning.

So the connection didn’t hold unfortunately. Are there chip clips you can buy to clip into arm processors? I have seen something called Z Axis tape I could also try.

which points are responsible for resetting the system after a flash?

thanks

Back