What's new

Malenko

Professional
Reaction score
I know I can enter codes to unlock all the fighters in MvC2 , but is there a way to save data? I had planned to netboot a racing cab and saving laptimes is clutch /pun

Side note, if you swap carts on a naomi, do you lose save data when you swap carts? I literally have 1 cart so I cant test.

yes and no...

The backup battery on the DIMM board will help retain info. so as long as that battery is charged and you DONT change games then the data should be retained between power cycles.

The original batteries are designed to be recharged while the game is running and in an arcade environment it's likely charging for 16 hours and then off for 8 or so, I doubt the original battery could hold up being on for an hour then off for days/weeks in a home environment.

@FrizzleFried came up with a solution to retain track times on his driving cab that involved a large battery and power converter rigged up in place with this battery, but I think it eventually failed on him

more information here: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=302266

it's still a shitty/fragile setup but it's better than nothing I guess.

@FrizzleFried came up with a solution to retain track times on his driving cab that involved a large battery and power converter rigged up in place with this battery, but I think it eventually failed on him

more information here: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=302266
Well, it didn't fail because of design. It failed because I am a dumbass and ran over the power brick with the cabinet causing it to come unplugged unbeknownst to me... so after a couple months of running on the larger battery it eventually died and I lost my data.

Unfortunately there is no way to save high scores between games. I have a video high score board I use to save my high scores for these (and other non-high score save) games. You can watch a crappy video of it here:

I know I can enter codes to unlock all the fighters in MvC2 , but is there a way to save data? I had planned to netboot a racing cab and saving laptimes is clutch /pun

Side note, if you swap carts on a naomi, do you lose save data when you swap carts? I literally have 1 cart so I cant test.
Unfortunately when using Netboot it does not save if you load up another game. Shame too because putting in the codes to unlock the MvC2 characters is a PAIN IN THE ARSE. That's why I ended up having one cab for Netboot and another one dedicated to just MvC2. However, if just swapping carts (not Netboot) I'm pretty sure my MvC2 does retain the unlocked characters, but my Rival Schools 2 does not. I have no idea why that is but luckily it's fairly easy to unlock the RS2 characters - it's just one password.

If you only play MvC2, whether netboot or not, it will save stuff until you change games. DIMM battery just saves you from having to re-load the game to the dimm; the mobo will still save the unlocked chars etc until you either play another cart or netboot a different game.

Back