What's new

wasspat

Student
Reaction score
Hello,

I need you help :
I've got a pcb system 32 Spiderman fully fonctionnal except one thing : the sound is completely wrong on Music and Voices (the Effects sounds looks good).
The sound is completely distorded like a crazy robot voice.

I'm not very skilled in reparation but for now :
- After checking memory test : no problem on IC 22-26-31 and 35.
- I've ordered a new TL064CN (after advice of Aje)

The sound part looks like that, and doesnt look very bad :

Any idea or return? I guess it's a common issue on system 32 PCB

Thanks a lot by advance !

My voices sound right, but Black Cat's punch has the robotic effect to it. So I'm definitely following this.

I have a similar problem on one of my System 32 boards: System 32 Garbled Audio

I was basically told I need an audio probe and that would allow me to "easily pinpoint the fault". I'm skeptical but I haven't yet found the time to piece together a probe.

For now I've ordered a new TL064CN and I will try to put it on the old TL064CN.
In case of bad result I will capkit the existant capacitors.
I'll come back here to share my result :).

Please let me know how it turns out.

One other thing I've seen suggested elsewhere is replacement of the Z80 processor, since this handles sound on these PCBs. though I haven't seen any confirmation of the results of such a replacement.

One other thing I've seen suggested elsewhere is replacement of the Z80 processor, since this handles sound on these PCBs. though I haven't seen any confirmation of the results of such a replacement.
If the Z80 was really bad you would have no sound at all (both music and sound FXs) since the CPU commands the whole audio system.About the audio probe, try it and you'll change your mind (obviously you have to know how to use it...).But from the top of your experience you have a better solution perhaps :)

Have you tried dumping and verifying the ROMs?

The internal testing tends to be very average and will often pass because it basically checks to see if the ROM responds at all.

Unfortunately I have nothing to verify the roms,
There no much information concerning the sytem 32 but you think the music are on a different eprom than effects? (for reminder effects are fine and music and voices are bad) so if it concerns a wrong eprom all the sounds must be bad no?

I come back to keep you informed of my adventures :

- after replacement of TL064CN : no results (but when I've put the new TC064CN on the old the music was good, so I guess the 064 miss some power before in the circuit)
- after replacement of the TL062 : no results

For now:
- i've ordered a eprom programmer and i will check all my eproms (also usuful for others pcb I want to repair)
- I've also ordered a very cheaper oscilloscope and I'll try to understand how it's work and tru to discover possible problems on the pcb

be continued :)

You were not able to test that yourself with the EPROM burner you got?

If they're the type of RAMs I think they are (the S32 boards have LOADS of them) they're 256k dual port dynamic RAM in a ZIP package. I don't think they can be tested in an EPROM programmer

Well, regardless I’m glad you got it fixed! The S32 boards are getting hard to find.

Back