What's new
Want To Buy

Ryan

Beginner
Reaction score
Not sure what's going on! I booted up my ST-V after leaving it on a shelf for a few months, and everything was fine. I played VF Kids, no issue. Upon loading Cotton 2, I had graphical glitches on the characters and low volume. That culminated in nothing after the boot recognizing the cart. Reseated BIOS chip and had it back to recognizing some graphics, but only backgrounds. Checks returned errors on IC8, IC27, and randomly IC30. IC8 returned Good after reseating. Now, however, there's just a black screen. I cannot run any tests. My hand-eye coordination is terrible, so I don't see myself being able to solder such small pieces, and I have no idea where to buy replacement parts. Any pros want to make a few bucks?

To be honest you can find stv mobo s for around 70-100 max sometimes even with games . The sh2 chips on these are prone to failure due to bending of the boards while inserting the cards . So feet from the chips get loose . It’s just not worth the time :(

you can try to reflow the 2 chips to see if that helps
Or reflow the chips is was saying fails the test. These are in chain so sometimes I cab give 7 error while there is only 1

I've looked up how to reflow, but most examples I've seen involve machines or some sort of heat plates. I've only ever soldered batteries onto CPS2 boards, so I'm not sure how to proceed. A few examples had people putting solder on the back of flat head and running it horizontally and then vertically down, others removed the pin completely, then resoldered every joint. Which method is best? Prices I've seen range in the $130-150+ (I paid $120 with VF Kids), plus shipping, so I was hoping to cut that down some.

Back