What's new
I tried a different SD card (pilfered from my Switch) and so far it seems to be working well (only tried two flashes, but so far so good).

One thing I noticed -- the SD card (especially the new one) gets physically stuck in the SD port.. like it inserts/injects fine, and it ejects fine (pressing down to make it pop up), but then physically removing it from that state, the SD card gets physically stuck and it's hard to remove, to the point where I feel like I have to force it. It feels like the cutout on the side of the SD card is getting stuck on something.

Hello

My multi STV doesn't work properly.

I have "cartridge error" on most games.
The only games that work normally are :
batman forever (no sound obviously),
cotton 2,
cotton boomerang,
danchi de hanafuda,
touryuu densetsu elan doree
gardian force
groove on fight
hanagumi taisen columns: sakura wars
othello shiyouyo
princess kurara daisakusen
radiant silvergun
shanghai: the great wall
shienryu

I used a 32GB SD card (san disk brand new).
I tried the latest archive with same result.

I tried another mother board from a friend with same result.

I tried with a very small SD card (2GB),
with only games 1 to 5.
Only the game 3 and 5 work, most others give "cartridge error" (some don't show that error, but don't start).

Any idea ?

Thank you

I found a solution to my problem.

The multi-STV cart doesn't work with original BIOS JAP :
EPR-17740A (Japan 95/02/20)

A friend came and tested with his modbios, and all games that were not recognized (cartirdge error) now all work normally.

The md5 of the bios that works fine is :
7c21887580b46519e3d7e50a53e97e91

There is no sticker on the eprom, I don't know precisely which one it is, but it ends with the string "ST-V MOD V1.11"

This cart has been out for years and I'm pretty sure most of those carts are running on original bios. I did all beta testing with the standard USA bios. Yours is the first I've heard of an issue with the bios.

I doubt its a protection issue. I'm wondering if your bios revision is an early one.

FYI I had the exact same issue, and changing from original bios to modbios fixed it for me as well.
Looks like the cart has compatibility issues with some stock BIOS'es.

Might be good to add modbios to installation instructions
@Darksoft as FYI

I used to use this STV-Multi all the time on my supergun and even in the Aero City.

I believe I set the jumpers and then hit "reset" and after the LED lights would settle. i would power the device off and on and it would boot the game selected.

I tried plugging it into my Mini Cute Repro, and this machine does not have a reset button just test and service.

I cannot figure out how to program a game onto the multi card.

Its stuck on Steep Slope Sliders until I figure this out.

How do I get this multi to start programming to memory again on this machine?

Change the jumpers to the game you want. Turn on the multi. Wait for the programming light to go off. It should auto reset if you've soldered the wire but if not, just turn the power off then on again and your new game will be loaded :)

Change the jumpers to the game you want. Turn on the multi. Wait for the programming light to go off. It should auto reset if you've soldered the wire but if not, just turn the power off then on again and your new game will be loaded :)
Unfortunately that didn't work. I don't get 2 LED lights when I change the jumpers and turn the system on. It used to be I would get 2 and about a minute later it would turn to one.

I don't have the reset wire soldered, but i would have to reset it to start the boot process. The Aero and HAS both have reset buttons but the cute does not.

Unfortunately that didn't work. I don't get 2 LED lights when I change the jumpers and turn the system on. It used to be I would get 2 and about a minute later it would turn to one.

I don't have the reset wire soldered, but i would have to reset it to start the boot process. The Aero and HAS both have reset buttons but the cute does not.

Try either reformatting your SD card, or a fresh SD card altogether. If the Multi can't read the card then the two LEDs won't come on.

Try either reformatting your SD card, or a fresh SD card altogether. If the Multi can't read the card then the two LEDs won't come on.

@ShootTheCore for the WIN!!

Having a Tate setup is underrated.

I finally get to enjoy Shienryu.

I'm liking it more than the 6 CAVE games I've played and owned so far.

44-B34966-1-CEB-4-FDF-8-F97-E9-C7-E7-C23531.jpg

The shadow detail, particle effects, Lightning physics. This is up there on my All time so far. I believe its the best game on the menu.

I'm glad I have the extra long DIP switch.

I can close my cab and keep my game selector outside so I don't have to open my cab to change the title.

857-B0476-6343-4-AE7-ADF5-000-ED1966235.jpg

I'm glad I have the extra long DIP switch.

I can close my cab and keep my game selector outside so I don't have to open my cab to change the title.

Hmm, you're still using DIP switching? I recommend getting rotary, oled or the LCD selector :)
Changing game gets pretty much smoother when you see the actual title to be changed.

Hmm, you're still using DIP switching? I recommend getting rotary, oled or the LCD selector :)
Changing game gets pretty much smoother when you see the actual title to be changed.
Your half right.

Scrolling through one game at a time like the F3 LCD is tedious and time consuming. The only thing I feel I’m missing out on is the cool pixel title art.

I printed out the color DIP games list and can see all games at once. Flip a switch or two and I’m good to go. Imo it’s efficient

My fave so far is the rotary switch on M-72. You can see all the games at once and just point to them and your rocking.

Just wishful thinking. If we had an LCD touch screen with a larger screen. We could be able to see a page of games and touch the one we want.

Or program a front end like the Darksoft Neo-Geo so we can see lists of game, rock out to chip tune and preview each game before selecting.

I would love to get the Dark Knight. That mature take on Beatemup Batman looks awesome.

I’ll try and sell this one on another forum and upgrade.

This is what mine currently looks like. This is with the Multi and the MultiPi. Changing games via a web UI is super nice. I made the platform to hold the PCB and the side panels to cover the opening. Just need to make the cover for the MultiPi and this will be done.

IMG_5723.jpg

We have now a new Black Knight Edition. You don't need those anymore. Just saying :whistling: Xmas is around the corner :)

Yeah, noted your post about the new multi... But there are plenty of people still running the older versions :)

I might even consider getting that too, but the price holds me back and there isn't yet the repro sound card for Batman, right? And how much would that cost on top...

Scrolling through one game at a time like the F3 LCD is tedious and time consuming. The only thing I feel I’m missing out on is the cool pixel title art.

With a long list and advance of only one game per time, that's a little slow indeed (LCD selector has +-1 and +-10 and when you keep the button pushed, it rolls the list until end).

I printed out the color DIP games list and can see all games at once. Flip a switch or two and I’m good to go. Imo it’s efficient

My fave so far is the rotary switch on M-72. You can see all the games at once and just point to them and your rocking.

Rotary and DIPs are good, but if you don't have a good light around, it might be difficult to see... And at least I prefer to keep lights somewhat dimmed when playing. Self-lit display rocks.

Just wishful thinking. If we had an LCD touch screen with a larger screen. We could be able to see a page of games and touch the one we want.
Or program a front end like the Darksoft Neo-Geo so we can see lists of game, rock out to chip tune and preview each game before selecting.

That all is possible. Just need work to get done. Start your own project and when ready, offer for everybody to buy?

There was even a version from LCD selector with transmitter/receiver so that you could load the game list to mobile phone and command the needed game to be loaded, just by touching your phone screen. I think miisalo still has the prototype.

Hi. My multi was working fine before I soldered anything (i.e. no reset wire, no LCD selector). Then I learned noob-level soldering and set up the reset wire and LCD selector. Now, even using jumpers and with the LCD selector removed, the multi only ever boots Cotton Boomerang (the last game I flashed before starting soldering). It appears to flash a game (two LEDs light up), then auto-resets to Cotton Boomerang. Edit: On power cycle, it will flash again even if I haven't changed the jumpers. It seems like nothing is actually writing.

Things I've tried:
  1. Redoing all my soldering. I've improved it from 110% noob to 90% noob. It's still ugly, but I can't see any bridges.
  2. Motherboard tests I've tried all pass (memory, VDP RAM, dual CPU).
  3. My one original cartridge, Die Hard Arcade, works perfectly.
  4. Tried a few different jumper configurations in case some particular game had an issue.
  5. The SD card is the same one I used when everything was working, and I can read it on my PC.
In case it matters, I installed a MODBIOS 1.11 from Ebay. It was working fine with the multi previously.

Here's my noob soldering, both so you can see if you can spot any bridges and for your entertainment/horror.

After exhausting my skill and experience, I ended up shipping my ST-V, multi, and selector off to @cruzlink2. He checked out a few easier things, like confirming a PCB scuff and singed resistor weren't the issue, then reflowed the SH2s. That did the trick. Not sure why the CPU tests were passing if that was the issue. I have everything back in my hands and am able to flash and play different games. Whew!

To help the SH2s endure, I'll get my ST-V into a Lions3 case ASAP to limit board flexing. Using a multi should also help reduce board flexing from swapping carts.

One issue to watch out for is the warping of PCBs. PCBs which have been stored for many years might become warped/bent. The moment you mount it on a rigid board you risk breaking fragile solder joints. This is a problem with larger PCBs with many SMD components like the ST-V and f.ex Battle Shark from TAITO.

Does anyone know the appropriate system settings for Grand Prix Find Love? This seems to be the only game on my multi that I can't get to boot. It seems to give me system configuration errors whenever I try to play it no matter what I've set the system configuration to.

Back