What's new

UltraCombo

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a SuperGun beginner. The unit I'm buying has an upgraded power supply: This particular SuperGun's PSU can operate boards requiring +5 Volts @ 4A, +12 Volts @ 1A & -5V @ 500ma DC.
I'm seen where different PCBs require lower power or higher power depending. My question is how power supplies work. If I'm playing Killer Instinct (a board that requires more power) I assume it works fine. However, if I switch out the PCB for something like Golden Axe (a lower powered board), will the supply fry the board or does it only provide the correct amount of power the board asks for? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

You will be fine. Think like this...current is "drawn" from the power supply by the device itself. It will not draw more than it needs (unless there is already major problem on board). The power supply will have a maximum amount of current it can supply.

If PSU is capable of supplying 5amps it will have no problem working at 1amps, 2amps, 3amps, etc. The board itself will "take what it needs" and work fine as long as it doesn't exceed what PSU is capable of maximum.

PS Don't confuse this with voltage... Which is "pushed" from the power supply and will absolutely wreck board if it is supplied too high voltage.

To add to what brad808 said, most (all?) arcade PSUs will have a way to adjust the voltage. Some boards might run fine with 5.0v whereas some others might need 5.05v.

You will be fine. Think like this...current is "drawn" from the power supply by the device itself. It will not draw more than it needs (unless there is already major problem on board). The power supply will have a maximum amount of current it can supply.

If PSU is capable of supplying 5amps it will have no problem working at 1amps, 2amps, 3amps, etc. The board itself will "take what it needs" and work fine as long as it doesn't exceed what PSU is capable of maximum.

PS Don't confuse this with voltage... Which is "pushed" from the power supply and will absolutely wreck board if it is supplied too high voltage.
Thanks for answering me! Does it sound like my psu’s voltage is safe for most boards? I’m not sure it has selectable power, because it’s not an arcade psu. I think it may be a laptop one or similar.

Here’s a link to the supergun and power supply I’m getting. Time stamp 2:09
View: https://youtu.be/rN8lpFYCGPk

Yes 12v, 5v, -5v are all standard voltages for these boards. The reason I add PS about voltage is more general knowledge so in the future you don't think "this power supply is 24v so it'll be fine to power something 5v". That isn't the case. PSU Voltage always needs to be exact (within specified range... Never higher or lower), PSU amperage always needs to be higher than what you need to make sure it can supply enough.

I don't know that exact super gun or power supply. I wouldn't want an arcade PSU that you couldn't adjust the 5v rail on. Jamma PCBs all vary wildly in how much current they draw and that will change the voltage (ohms law). If you have an adjustable 5v rail you can compensate up or down to make sure the board is getting the right voltage (not 4.7v, not 5.6v, etc. Little trim pot allows you to dial it in correctly.

4A on +5V is not a lot. You may run into issues with boards like Killer Instinct.
For sure.

I try and use PSUs rated at twice the max current draw if my most power hungry board. I shoot for PSUs rated at 8-10A on the 5V line.

For sure.

I try and use PSUs rated at twice the max current draw if my most power hungry board. I shoot for PSUs rated at 8-10A on the 5V line.
Thanks for your tips. I’ve since worked out a heartier psu with an adjustable pot switch. This should make all the difference according to you folks here. I’m glad I reached out!

For sure.

This is the rule of thumb I've always heard and abide by.

Back