What's new
Fully integrated into the board would be the only way for it to make sense and even then it’s still going to be a limited amount of people who would replace a traditional PSU
I don't think this is a limited amount of people really.

Having to use a arcade PSU with minigun is a fucking pain. Having a bulky box nearby (and I'm using a small Meanwell) really sucks.

Expense doesn't concern me. Form factor does.

I feel the same way, but there’s always the mantra of

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

Existing supergun designs are tested, cost effective and power supplies are the same.

Redesigning takes time and effort and people may not be willing to spend the extra and you’re already getting a return on your investment that is known to work

I feel the same way, but there’s always the mantra of

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

Existing supergun designs are tested, cost effective and power supplies are the same.

Redesigning takes time and effort and people may not be willing to spend the extra and you’re already getting a return on your investment that is known to work
Agreed. I don't think I would redesign the miniGun. What I would do is just make an adapter that plugs into the miniGun. So that would just entail a PCB that:
  1. Takes the USB-C power input from a single trigger connector at 20v
  2. Run 20v into:
    • 1 buck convertor for the +12v rail
    • 1 buck convertor for the +5v rail
      • Create a +5v rail to run into a Negatron for the -5v rail
It would be a monstrous looking adapter though. But hey, I can do it. It wouldn't look much different than the wired up rig you got going. And so, wouldn't be an improvement. I wouldn't have the skills to move a buck convertor's components to the miniGun. Also, it wouldn't be very "mini" after getting done.

I would just as soon find a known powerbrick that has -5v, +5v, +12 and redesign the miniGun so it accepts the connector for that power brick. That I can do and is probably more realistic.

What I would like to do and I’ve been collecting bits and pieces for is an all in one supergun for JAMMA and JVS - running off USB-C

The idea would be for it to be a DIY design. I’ve been working on ideas to fit it all into a housing and connecting everything but my thinking is

ZY12PDN or similar trigger board into 3 buck converters for 12v/5v/3.3v with negatron for -5v

Minigun for JAMMA

MP04-IONA board (open source JVS to JAMMA) for JVS inputs

I wanted to create a PCB with 2 JAMMA edge connectors on one side and 1 on the other to connect the Minigun and IONA board to the outside edge connector with a switch to select JVS or JAMMA input

All-in-one supergun in small form factor is sortof what I want as well.

I already have an Axun CBox which is _amazing_ but something smaller and more portable driven by USB-C would be cool

While its not quite what you want (uses a DC barrel connector instead of USB-C) this is basically the same thing?

A hobbyist in Japan made a supergun powered by USB-PD: https://j-7system.blog.ss-blog.jp/2022-03-09

It features DualShock 4 controller support via Bluetooth and a custom FPGA-based sync separator to convert the video signal to RGBHV. With built in S-video and Composite outputs as well.

DSC_2486_thumb.jpg

Hooked up to a small 15kHz RGB compatible LCD monitor with everything running off a 45W power bank. The USB port next to the barrel jack is for powering the display.

DSC_2478_thumb-9c672.jpg

Video: https://twitter.com/s_osafune/status/1500481170920046592

Apparently it can only run for up to 2-3 hours per charge. But a "real hardware" arcade setup as minimal/portable as that is still impressive!

While its not quite what you want (uses a DC barrel connector instead of USB-C) this is basically the same thing?

A hobbyist in Japan made a supergun powered by USB-PD: https://j-7system.blog.ss-blog.jp/2022-03-09

It features DualShock 4 controller support via Bluetooth and a custom FPGA-based sync separator to convert the video signal to RGBHV. With built in S-video and Composite outputs as well.

DSC_2486_thumb.jpg

Hooked up to a small 15kHz RGB compatible LCD monitor with everything running off a 45W power bank. The USB port next to the barrel jack is for powering the display.

DSC_2478_thumb-9c672.jpg

Video: https://twitter.com/s_osafune/status/1500481170920046592

Apparently it can only run for up to 2-3 hours per charge. But a "real hardware" arcade setup as minimal/portable as that is still impressive!
1669803779254.png

In terms of DC-DC converters, a nice, small cost efficient board seems to be the "Mini560".
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005001483117768.html

Super cheap, has 12V, 5V, 3.3V versions. Supports up to 5A on 5V (needs heat dissipation for 4A+). Can be powered by 20V DC.

Dunno how good it is, but seems nice on paper for something like this.

Did they used a barrel jack to prevent getting the power output mixed up with the input/allow use a laptop PSU? Great idea

I hope they sell this or open source it

Last edited:
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED 8o

So many things I could do with a Pi Pico right on the supergun! omg

That’s awesome, and it’s such a small board with what appears to be fairly minimal parts

I want 3

Is that a Nintendo multi A/V cord being used for video?

Back