What's new

Aurich

Legendary
Reaction score
There are a couple threads I could have tried to post this to, but it seemed a little off topic for them, so decided to start a new one.

There has been an increased interest in color palette hacking lately, since the tools to do it have gotten pretty good. Here's an example of an ST one someone who plays at my place just finished:

https://twitter.com/AndyMaComedy/status/1384546385551257600?s=20

EzbkSLgVcAUzR2c.png

People are mostly using this on Fightcade. Right now there's no easy way for me to add this to my CPS2 multi to surprise him. But if it was possible without creating huge headaches I would, be a cool easter egg some night. I honestly have no idea what the work involved in this sort of thing is, and not trying to ask anyone else to step up and do it, but I am curious if there's general interest in this sort of thing now. And if so, does it make sense to explore tools for it?

*yes please*
Well that's two of us, heh, but not exactly setting the world on fire.

No biggie, I'm just ignorant of what's involved to do this, so not sure if it's a minor pain or a real headache.

I haven't tried the resulting flash files, this but I can't think of a reason it wouldn't just work.
this looks like a hack of ssf2xjr1 based on the download link and mame, so you'll need the non-merged .230 rom, or you'll need the parent ssf2t too

download the palette hack files or diffs
(apply diffs to appropriate mame roms, not in this case though as the download had the fully modified files)
replace the hacked files, re-zip the file -- note that if you aren't using the non-merged set you're probably replacing files in the parent ssf2t rom
place the repacked file(s) into your mame/roms folder
download cps2 multi romset generator: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/cps2-multi-romset-generator.9425/
place in mame root folder
run the cps2 generator exe against the rebuilt zip

Last edited:
That sounds easy enough, I'll try that, thanks for writing out the steps.

If you’re hung up lemme know, I was able to build it all - just haven’t wanted to disassemble my multi to get at the sd card

I run my multi with the shell off, bare PCB boys, so the SD card is super easy to access. :D

I have a pair of Astros that are basically dedicated CPS2 cabs, so it's just mounted in there like any other board.

I was gonna mess with it this weekend, if you want me to test your file before then that's easy enough to do.

Back