What's new

IMACOMPUTA

Student
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I finally got my first arcade over the weekend. It was advertised as the PCB not working.

Upon first inspection there were a handful of things that clearly looked wrong (A couple missing 100uf caps on the Sony board, bridged pins on one of the ICs). I replaced the missing caps and got rid of the bridging on the pins. There are a couple caps that look like they're in rough shape that I'm waiting for parts to replace.
I was hopeful, but after taking care of those issues it still doesn't seem to do anything. I checked my psu and it looks good. I bought this from a guy that owns an arcade nearby and he seems very legit. I think he said it just stopped working one day.

Does anybody have any tips on where to start with diagnosing my issue? I'm new to this but eager to get it going.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• PXL_20220815_045712451.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220815_045712451.MP.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 88
  • PXL_20220815_045431041.jpg
    PXL_20220815_045431041.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 93
  • PXL_20220815_044234137.jpg
    PXL_20220815_044234137.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 90
I’d say recheck all the Sony customs and try to get other one of those top boards. Those are the most problematic as I had one that was working then one day, it stopped working. I had to replace it with an extra one I had from a Tekken 2 board.

I’d say recheck all the Sony customs and try to get other one of those top boards. Those are the most problematic as I had one that was working then one day, it stopped working. I had to replace it with an extra one I had from a Tekken 2 board.
I might have to keep my eyes peeled for Tekken 2 or Soul Edge. I wouldn't mind owning those anyway.
Ive actually been referencing this thread while I troubleshoot! I don't have any replacement chips but I did apply some heat to the solder joints.

Replaced the rest of the caps on the top board and still no dice. Not really seeing any Tekken 2's for sale unless I want to spend nearly $200!
I've been trying to figure out what the heck is going on inside of this cabinet and it's absolutely daunting. It was converted to use HAPP guns and I noticed that one of the gun's handles was incredibly hot after turning it on.

Update:
PXL_20220830_013811033.jpg

Bought a Tekken 2. Top board replaced. Working! And the blue gun has recoil. Totally surprised by that. I bought some Namco recoil guns to throw on here. Can't wait for that.

I think I'm going to mount the guns to front or side of the cab so I can do a normal control panel to play Tekken 2/MiSTercade.

I'd still like to fix the old top board!

Update:
PXL_20220830_013811033.jpg

Bought a Tekken 2. Top board replaced. Working! And the blue gun has recoil. Totally surprised by that. I bought some Namco recoil guns to throw on here. Can't wait for that.

I think I'm going to mount the guns to front or side of the cab so I can do a normal control panel to play Tekken 2/MiSTercade.

I'd still like to fix the old top board!
saved one of the best arcade light gun games of all time!

Back