What's new

notsonic

Champion
Reaction score
I recently got a System 16 multi for my ESwat donor board. The board had a Hitachi FD1094 cpu which I replaced with a MC68000P12. No matter how many times I reburned the eproms, reseated them, reseated the multi, etc. I have constant static graphical corruption. The corruption does not change or move or wiggle, it is always exactly the same incorrect graphics in the same spots.
PXL_20221205_002010962.jpg

The only error I have seen in tests is J9. I tried replacing J9 but then both J9 and J10 were reporting bad. So then I replaced J10 too and they're still bad. It turns out I ordered the wrong chip. Original is UM6116K-2 and the replacements are UM6116K-2L which looks like it's a low power variant. I assume they're probably just being over volted now since I am actually seeing bad behavior from the color ram chips, but it is totally unrelated to the graphical corruption. Basically I'm getting color streaking on top of the incorrect graphics. No big deal except I haven't been able to find UM6116K-2 outside of kinds of sites you have to inquire first to order.

Any ideas before I just give up and get another mobo? Using the original CPU and ESwat board still works fine (aside from the color ram). Maybe it's the new 68k cpu that's the issue?

I was able to find and order the proper UM6116K-2 color ram chips from questcomp.com. I also ordered a MC68000L10 to try. We'll see what happens when they get here.

Separately I've also posted a WTB thread since this mobo still works fine with the original ESwat rom board and cpu, so I figure I'll just get another one. I've been troubleshooting making the multi work with my mobo for far too many hours and it's been really frustrating.

I got the replacement color ram chips and ceramic 68k.

Changing out the cpu did nothing.

Changing the color ram was a huge waste of time because not only is it unrelated to the problem I'm having with the multi, but now I've ripped a few traces and my repair job was unsuccessful. I can't tell if it's the color ram chips or I didn't repair the traces well enough.

Basically I've been messing with this thing since I got it and I'm pretty tired and frustrated. Couple hundred down the drain and many hours wasted. I should've just stuck with the mister.

Hello Notsonic,

I'm currently facing a similar issue with my multi S16 for a year now.

Did roughly the same operations : changing CPU, reseated the multi board many times, Eproms all verified and reburned, checking continuity everywhere... No success so far !
Trying to find out what happens but no more clue.

Original M.V.P game was working well.
I have bought another board two weeks ago (working TETRIS), and was excited to fix that definitively ... but I got the same issue again !!

Can you send more pictures please ??

What would you want pics of, the board or the graphical errors?

I've got another System 16 coming my way. I've also sent the multi back to mitsurugi to test and it checked out fine on his end.

Here's all the pictures I took before I broke the color ram, unfortunately it's not much.

Aurail always exhibits some sort of corruption.
PXL_20221205_002010962.jpg PXL_20221205_001927262.jpg PXL_20221205_001851130.jpg

Some of Fantasy Zone was fine and some was not fine.
PXL_20221205_011856404.jpg PXL_20221205_011933295.jpg PXL_20221205_012018414.jpg

Ok, thank you !
So it’s pretty much like the ones Im currently facing.
Did you burn the JPN set from the rollup pack ? or did you generate all the files by yourself ?

I burned both the JP and US roll up packs numerous times. It never changed anything.

I got my new to me System 16 motherboard. It did not work with the original game and was missing the z80. I should have paid more attention to the pictures.

I went ahead and swapped my z80, 68k, and the multi board over and still no good. I'm very close to giving up. The display on this one is so garbled that I can't even get into the test menu to try to do a ram test.

PXL_20230123_213017304.jpg PXL_20230123_213025521.jpg

Did you bought it knowing that it already didn't work with the original game?

If it makes you feel better, I have three working motherboards now and I still can't get the multi to work properly :D

Nah it was listed as untested. With suicide chips and a nonstandard connector I took the chance it really was working and untested and not just "untested" aka broken.

I picked up yet another System 16b, this time it was what looked to be a decrypted Golden Axe. Worked first try no problems, didn't even have to reseat the multi. I know it's anticlimactic to just use another board but at least I can finally use this thing.

I sent the Eswat and Flash Point boards to Ken at irepairsega to repair the color ram traces I messed up and briefly investigate the other issues. I'll update with any useful info.

I picked up yet another System 16b, this time it was what looked to be a decrypted Golden Axe. Worked first try no problems, didn't even have to reseat the multi. I know it's anticlimactic to just use another board but at least I can finally use this thing.

I sent the Eswat and Flash Point boards to Ken at irepairsega to repair the color ram traces I messed up and briefly investigate the other issues. I'll update with any useful info.
interesting ..let me know when you hear back from him

Back