What's new

defor

Professional
Reaction score
After over a decade of collecting System 246/256 games, I'm happy to present the following:

2x6-logo-anim-white.gif
https://archive.org/details/system2x6

Most dumps are from my personal collection (there are a few contributions), and represent actual verified dumps.
(4 dongle dumps are from the existing MAME set as needed to fill out missing versions)

<3 Many thanks to everyone who helped make this possible:
Subbie, l_oliveira, krHACKEen, brizzo, ShouTime, Darksoft, Mitsurugi-w, rtw, rolins ...
... and countless others (let me know if I forgot to credit you!)​

Final Notes: Software versions are indicated by the ACTUAL versions of the software where possible, NOT what's written on the dongle!
As with everything, YMMV, but everything has been tested (at some point).
Sorry for my long disappearances and the years of delays in getting this together... It's not an excuse, but I'll be around as I can.
Yes, the logo looks pretty crappy on a light background, I'm not gonna fix it right now.
Please don't ask me about driving, gun, or touchscreen games at present as my setups for these are in storage.
I will be releasing more stuff I've stockpiled (hacks, custom versions, manuals, artwork, flyers, etc.), but please be patient.
Let me know if you have any questions, issues, or have contributions to add to this collection!

Last edited:
Technic beat represents a very strange release. In total, I’ve seen the data from three dongles for it, and every one of them is using a repurposed Vampire Night dongle. Realistically, the game should be considered to not actually have a catalog number, as even though the dongles say “NM00003”, someone at Arika has clearly MANUALLY put the files on each dongle, with varying amounts of the original VPN code remaining, although inactive. After all, the game was an EXTREMELY limited release in arcades.

Reactions: nem
Technic beat represents a very strange release. In total, I’ve seen the data from three dongles for it, and every one of them is using a repurposed Vampire Night dongle. Realistically, the game should be considered to not actually have a catalog number, as even though the dongles say “NM00003”, someone at Arika has clearly MANUALLY put the files on each dongle, with varying amounts of the original VPN code remaining, although inactive. After all, the game was an EXTREMELY limited release in arcades.
Due to how the dongle security work and how SONY would put the initial files on it before the licencee would put their files on it (since they are the ones actually bound to Magic Gate security, initial files are boot.bin, ACLOAD and title.txt) boot.bin was coded at SONY by SONY programmers and details on how to use it was passed to the licencee after an agreement.

Each game use a different boot.bin file with different "per title encryption" for the game files stored on the dongle flash, To reuse a dongle card from a existing game one would need to have received this information from the original developer as it was sent from SONY or discovered how to hack into the official game files and claim CPU control from it. Not to mention special tools needed to write modified files onto the dongle without hacking on the NAND.

Merry Christmas indeed! Glad you are doing ok, @defor

This is pretty much the archive we've all been waiting for. The effort defor put into dumping these dongles over the years is amazing. He literally dumped every dongle that passed his way just on the off chance that it might be a slightly different version and it paid off a time or two.

Does this mean I can finally send one of my dongles to Mitsurugi-w to now have the latest Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection data with the old Tekken 5 stages unlocked? I've long given up on unlocking them normally by leaving the system on all day, especially since I wasn't 100% certain the old T5 stages were indeed time-released.

Does this mean I can finally send one of my dongles to Mitsurugi-w to now have the latest Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection data with the old Tekken 5 stages unlocked? I've long given up on unlocking them normally by leaving the system on all day, especially since I wasn't 100% certain the old T5 stages were indeed time-released.
I have never heard of this at all. I want to know too.

let’s keep discussion of bootlegs/upgrade services out of this thread as it’s not directly relevant.
That said, I need to check my notes, but I think there’s a code for this for T5 so that you don’t have to use a time release solution… I’ll add that to my todo list for this week.

If there is no code, alternately there MAY be a full unlock “region” that can be set by modifying one file. There’s some interesting debug/test features in many games.

how does one go about dumping the dongles? i have a few of my own too

how does one go about dumping the dongles? i have a few of my own too
This goes for anyone- I’d love to add to this collection if there’s missing dumps— please contact me or darksoft about this!

That said, be aware that the versions listed for dongles are (to the best of my ability to tell) the versions of what’s on the dongles- so to test, check the version listed in the service menu, and if possible , use NON-upgraded cd/dvds because later disc versions can cause the service menu to show a different “combined version” than what’s actually on the dongle.

Incredible, thanks for this! In particular, I've been looking for the T4 d dongle file for a while, got it up and running now.

I took the time to check the export English dongle .bin file (TED2) with the multi dongle and surprisingly it had the old Tekken 5 stages present (in versus mode). I thought that was pretty interesting

Edit: something even more interesting while playing around with it even more, the old T5 stages have the PlayStation 2 arranged music rather than the original arcade 256 music. That’s actually pretty neat!

Last edited:
Hello
How do I write dongle data for use with system256?

I don't know how to write the dongle data so far

Back