What's new

skusuma

Professional
Reaction score
I installed my Darksoft F3 Multigame board today. During testing after loading some games, the games playing without sound. For some other games like Elevator Action, Darius Gaiden, they will play with sound but then the sound frozen but you can still playing. I can play my F3 cartridges (Bubble Symphony and Puzzle Bubble 3) without sound problem. My F3 motherboard looked like has been worked on before, the ensoniq chip on picture look like have been replaced (see pictures below). I'm not sure if this installation causes the sound issue or something else. Is there anyone having this issue before and fixed it?

F3 Multi 2.jpg
F3 Multi 1.jpg

Last edited:
The Ensoniq chip has likely been replaced at some point. Whoever replaced it installed a socket for it.

Have you tried loading Bubble Symphony and Puzzle Bubble 3 on the Multi? Do you have sound issues with those two games when running them on the Multi?

When I tried with my Bubble Symphony cart, it worked fine. But when I replaced with F3 multiboard, it had no sound in the intro for a couple of seconds then i had sound. But during playing, sometimes there's no sound effects, other times background music frozen.
When I did restore to factory settings, it became no sound.
I noticed whenever I installed Bubble Symphony cart, the screen showed message "Push Test Switch Backup Data Failed". But when I installed F3 Multi, I wasn't shown that message.

If I turn off attract mode and turn up volume to high, there's noise. But normal is fine. I'm not sure if this is normal or the motherboard has sound issue.

I was able to get sound for all games that I can control with joystick by turning up my 5V to 5.37V. It's the highest my NNC PSU can go. Games like Darius Gaiden and Elevator Action sound can still frozen if there's a specific sound effect (for example: Elevator Action whenever there's a fire burning sound, sound will freeze). I wonder if I can fix this sound frozen issue by turning VR1 pot to lower resistance. Currently my VR1 is 185ohms. Initially I mistaken this by a volume pot and changed the position so I adjusted the value to same value as my other F3 motherboard that has sync issue. Xian Xi mentioned in other forum VR1 on his F3 motherboard set to 163.5ohms (https://www.neo-geo.com/forums/index.php?threads/taito-f3-vr1-reading.235411/). Could someone who has no problem with his/her F3 Multi setup check for me what the VR1 resistance value on his/her F3 motherboard?
1655709843628.png

every ES5510/ESPR6 ensoniq chip has its own working voltage,
this is set with VR 1.

this voltage is always printed on the chip.
if this is unknown, you take the risk of destruction.

but this does not apply to the OTISR2 chip.....

Last edited:
That paper on the VR1 states clearly that it's not a volume pot. Turning it up can certainly break your multi and I would be surprissed if it hasnt.

If you say that the original works well but the multi not, either you need to regulate your power and VR1 and when everything is OK the multi will work or the multi is broken. Can you try in another F3 motherboard?

this is set with VR 1.

:(

this is set with VR 1.

Astro X, did you mean OTISR2 chip doesn't have voltage printed on the chip?

That paper on the VR1 states clearly that it's not a volume pot. Turning it up can certainly break your multi and I would be surprissed if it hasnt.

If you say that the original works well but the multi not, either you need to regulate your power and VR1 and when everything is OK the multi will work or the multi is broken. Can you try in another F3 motherboard?
No, I haven't tried to turn VR1 pot up yet with Multi board on F3 motherboard. I did it when I first tested my F3 motherboard with original cartridge because I mistaken the VR1 as a volume pot.

I don't have another working F3 motherboard now. The other motherboard I have, has sync issue.

I think I'm going to get another motherboard. Hopefully my multi board is still good after I fed 5.37V yesterday.

Back