What's new

Suteneko

Beginner
Reaction score
When I boot up my newly acquired Taito Type X2 I get a "TCG Error: MPD Command Failed" Message as pictured:

1646920766704.png

How can I solve this?
I presume this is not related to the battery as that is measuring at 3.04v which should be okay?

Pressing F1 allows everything to boot up and work fine. But would like to not have to do that.

Did you ever get it solved? I'm having the same issue and suspecting a defective TPM Chip.

EDIT: The Atmel AT97SC3203 next to the graphics adapter slot should be the IC responsible for TCG / TPM operations. Will try to swap that one out (after removing all the capacitors right next to it to get some free space).

Last edited:
After an almost four-months delay I finally received the TPM chips. And ... success!!! The MPD message is gone and TTX2 Multi starting fine ^^
I would be curious if it would start an official HDD, since the replacement chip doesn't contain any custom Taito Signatures. I'd expect the USB dongle to fail, but I can't validate it.
PXL_20230213_115007773.jpg

Last edited:
Today I could check it with an untouched authentic HDD and USB Dongle. As expected it runs in a Security Validation Error ("System Error Code: 901"), as the missing TPM fingerprint breaks the signature chain for accessing the USB dongle. But that wouldn't have worked either with the broken TPM Chip and unless someone leaks the original TPM keys, we can't do anything about it (TPM data are masked and can't be read out for obvious reasons). Well, at least we can use the TTX2 Multi flawlessly.

Update: I brought another broken TTX2 Motherboard back to life with a new AT97SC3203. However the symptoms were different, as it stayed in an endless boot loop within the POST. It powered on but didn't to anything obvious, no beep, no video etc. With a PCI diagnostic card you could see that it always started to a certain point and then rebooted. Replacing the TPM chip fixed that issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: nem
Back