What's new
Thanks for the replies! @Zebra - Ikegami monitors are nice. I have the 15 inch, and whilst it's footprint is deep, the style is nice (1505 with the cool control panel that comes out the front)

Thanks for the replies! @Zebra - Ikegami monitors are nice. I have the 15 inch, and whilst it's footprint is deep, the style is nice (1505 with the cool control panel that comes out the front)

Yeah the control draw is cool. In terms of technical excellence and overall image quality for old games I rate the Ikegami TM line above all others. They have fantastic contrast, geometry and convergence.

I've been through a lot of monitors including various Sony PVM and BVMs. My Ikegami TM20-90rh is the only broadcast monitor I kept. Old games just look wrong to my eye on Trinitron tubes.

For every day gaming I still prefer larger arcade monitors though. If games don't look how I remember them then I seem to end up spending more time messing with settings than I do playing.

Electrohome G07 for the win! :D
Yup. You can't beat a decade appropriate curved slot mask tube for standard res arcade games.

I just wish I could still buy them these days. The supply of curved standard res arcade monitors has completely dried up near me.

I was considering learning how to RGB mod one of those old curved sharp crt TVs as I've been waiting so long for a curved arcade monitor to come up.

maybe you could combine a tv tube/shell with a chinese universal(ish) pcb-set

I thought about that but everyone keeps telling me how terrible they are. I'm not really sure how many have actually used them though.

The rgb image on one of those curved sharp TVs looks about the same as on a K7000 though. So, if I use them for one game (I.e. Not in a mame cab with constant res switching) maybe there's no disadvantage.

I figured I'd try the rgb mod and if I don't like the result those sharp TVs would be a good donor tube for the Chinese chassis.

Back